Language programme in Bournemouth
Bournemouth is undoubtedly one of the best student towns on the southern coast of England. Its quaintness, charm and miles of sandy beach alongside the bustling atmosphere of the city have created a centre for tourism, education and business. Complete with an exceedingly well organised public transport system with links all over Britain and Europe, Bournemouth is a hub of activity. Even getting to London is as simple as hopping on a two hour train ride.
It's safe to say that there is a never a dull moment in this seaside town. Witness powerboat races, vintage car shows, international tennis championships and windsurfing competitions throughout the whole year. During the summer months there are weekly firework displays from the pier, along with laser light shows and the Musicmaker's festival. Bournemouth even has a unique 'Flowers by Candlelight' festival, where the towns's inhabitants light 15 000 candles in the central gardens. A safe and inviting city for young people, the beaches and pedestrian zones offer adolescents the opportunity to enjoy their holidays in a safe and relaxed environment.
Southbourne School of English
Founded in 1966, our partner school is situated in the calm green residential neighbourhood of Southbourne, close to the centre of Bournemouth. The welcoming family atmosphere of the school creates a perfect balance between freedom and supervision, where students feel comfortable learning, working and having a good time while integrated in an international group.
Accreditations: British Council
The school offers:
- 17 bright air-conditioned classrooms with interactive technology
- A computer room with free Internet access
- Wi-Fi on all premises
- A cafeteria serving hot and cold drinks, cooked meals and snacks
- A garden with picnic areas
- Access to a sports hall, swimming pool, tennis courts and football ground
Students benefit from high-quality teaching and supervision during lessons, activities and the excursion programme.
English language courses: the basics
- Lesson length: 60 minutes
- Maximum number of students per class: 16
- Schedule: classes are usually held in the afternoon, from 14:00 to 17:30
- Placement test: first day of classes (multiple choice, written and oral)
- Certificate of participation at the end of the programme
- Daily homework
- CELTA-qualified native English teachers
The programme includes (per week):
- 15 lessons of general English
- 1 half-day of cultural excursion
- 4 half-days of sports or recreational activities
- 1 full day of excursion (on the Saturday)
Evening activities with your host damily
Language level: beginners to advanced
Activities and events during your stay
This programme is entirely supervised by school staff.
Some of the many activities include:
- 1 half-day of excursion: local visit in and around Bournemouth: Christchurch, Poole, Hengistbury Head,...
- 4 half-days of sports and leisure activities on campus: swimming pool, football, volleyball, mini-golf, beach games,...
- 1 full day of excursion (on the Saturday): London (main monuments in the city centre and Hyde Park or Museum of Natural History), Bath or Oxford
- Optional activities (during the evenings and on Sunday, to be payed on-site): bowling (around £10), Junior Disco (£15), Splashdown Water Park (£20) etc.
Below is a sample of timetable for a 2-week stay (subject to potential change):
Shared room, shared bathroom, full board
Travel time to school: Host families are located in residential areas within walking distance from the school or up to 30 minutes maximum by local public transport.
- Bed linen and towels provided
- Laundry available (laundry day has to be arranged with host family)
- Typical English meals. Breakfast and dinner are taken at host family's place. The host family provides a packed lunch to be taken to school on class and activity days.
Prices & Dates 2019
Session dates: from 16/06 to 25/08
Course start dates: Most courses start on Monday.
Including classes, accommodation with full board, all activities/excursions, journey, all taxes & enrolment fees.Apply
|Classes, activities & homestay accommodation - Double room, full board|
|1 week||895 €|
|2 weeks||1,595 €|
|3 weeks||2,195 €|
|4 weeks||2,795 €|
|5 weeks||3,495 €|
|6 weeks||4,095 €|
|7 weeks||4,695 €|
|8 weeks||5,195 €|
|Special diet (Halal, vegetarian, allergies..)||35 €|
|Extra charge for students aged 10 - 11 years old (price per week)||40 €|
|Airport to accommodation transfers - per journey|
|London Heathrow||225 €|
|London Luton/Gatwick/Bristol||240 €|
|Central London||270 €|
|Extra charge for UM (unaccompanied minor) journeys: 80 EUROS|
|Extra charge of 40 EUROS if the team has to wait more than 2 hours at the airport or train station|
- English course (15 hours per week)
- Full board homestay accommodation
- Placement test
- School materials
- Certificate of participation at the end of the programme
- All activities
- Free Internet access
- Laundry once per week
- All school taxes and enrolment fees
Prices do not include:
- Travel to and from Bournemouth
- Arrival and departure transfers
- Optional insurances
- Extra fee for students aged 10 - 11 years old
Arrival airports/railway stations (with approx. travel time to Bournemouth):
Bournemouth International Airport offers daily and weekly flights to and from numerous British and European destinations. Poole also offers daily ferry cruises to and from France.
- Bournemouth Airport-Bournemouth: 15 minutes (taxi)
- Southampton Airport-Bournemouth: 30 minutes (taxi), 38 minutes (train)
- London Heathrow-Bournemouth: 1h30 (taxi), 2h25 (express bus)
- London Gatwick-Bournemouth: 2h (taxi), 3h30 minutes (express bus)
- London Stansted-Bournemouth: 2h30 minutes (taxi), 4h (express bus)
Airport transfers available on request (fees apply, see price list)
Please note: Do not make travel arrangements until we have confirmed your enrolment in your chosen course (about 4 days after deposit payment).
If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, the British Government announced that European citizens can travel in the UK with only a valid ID-card until the 31/12/2020.
Do you need a Visa for this programme? For more information please consult our page Visa Information.
Do not hesitate to contact us by telephone or email if you require any additional information.