Language programme in Bournemouth
Bournemouth is undoubtedly one of the best student towns on the southern coast of England. Its quaintness, charm and miles of sandy beach alongside the bustling atmosphere of the city have created a centre for tourism, education and business. Complete with an exceedingly well organised public transport system with links all over Britain and Europe, Bournemouth is a hub of activity. Even getting to London is as simple as hopping on a two hour train ride.
It's a safe and inviting city for young people, the beaches and pedestrian zones offer the students the opportunity to enjoy their holidays in a safe and relaxed environment.
Southbourne School of English
Founded in 1966, our partner school is situated in the calm green residential neighbourhood of Southbourne, close to the centre of Bournemouth. The welcoming family atmosphere of the school creates a perfect balance between freedom and supervision, where students feel comfortable learning, working and having a good time while integrated in an international group.
Accreditations: British Council
The school offers:
- 17 bright air-conditioned classrooms with interactive technology
- An IT computer room with free Internet access
- Wi-Fi on all premises
- A cafeteria serving hot and cold drinks, cooked meals and snacks
- A garden with picnic areas
- Access to a sports hall, swimming pool, tennis courts and football ground
Students benefit from high-quality teaching and supervision during lessons and the activities-excursions programme.
English language courses: the basics
- Lesson length: 60 minutes
- Maximum number of students per class: 16
- Schedule: classes are usually held in the afternoon, from 14:00 to 17:30
- Placement test: first day of classes (multiple choice, written and oral)
- Certificate of completion at the end of the programme
- Daily homework
- CELTA-qualified native English teachers
The programme includes (per week):
- 15 lessons of general English
- 1 half-day cultural visit
- 4 half-days of sports or recreational activities
- 1 full day excursion (on Saturday)
Evening activities with your host damily
Language level: beginners to advanced
Activities and events during the stay
This programme is entirely supervised by school staff.
Some of the many activities include:
- 1 half-day visit: local visit in and around Bournemouth: Christchurch, Poole, "Hengistbury Head" natural reserve,...
- 4 half-days of sports and leisure activities on campus: swimming pool, football, volleyball, mini-golf, beach games,...
- 1 full day excursion (on Saturday): London (main monuments in the city centre and Hyde Park or Museum of Natural History), Bath or Oxford (colleges tour)
- Optional activities (during certain evenings and on Sunday, at extra cost to be payed on-site): bowling (around £10/game), Junior Disco (£15), Splashdown Water Park (£20) etc.
Below is a sample of timetable for a 2-week stay (subject to potential change):
Shared room, shared bathroom, full board
Travel time to school: Host families are located in residential areas within walking distance or a short bus ride from the school.
- Bed linen and towels provided
- Laundry available (laundry day has to be arranged with host family)
- Typical English meals. Breakfast and dinner (and lunch upon week-ends) are taken "at home". The host family provides a packed lunch to be taken to school on class and activity days.
Prices & Dates 2020
Spring/Easter session dates: from March 03 to April 24
Summer session dates: from June 06 to August 28
Course start dates: Most courses start on Monday.
Including classes, full board accommodation, all activities/excursions, all school taxes & enrolment fees.Book now
|English Classes, activities & homestay accommodation - Twin room, full board|
|Duration||Spring / Easter||Summer|
|Extra charges (per week)|
|Special diet (Halal, Kosher, Vegan/Vegetarian, gluten free, allergies, etc.)||35|
|Students aged 10-11 years||40|
|Airport to accommodation transfers - per journey|
|Extra charge for UM (unaccompanied minor) : 80 Euros per journey|
|Extra charge for delayed arrival exceeding 1 hour at the airport or train station: 40 Euros per hour|
- English course (15 hours per week)
- Full board homestay accommodation
- Placement test
- School materials
- Certificate of completion at the end of the programme
- The activities/excursions programme
- Free Internet access
- Laundry once per week
- All school taxes and enrolment fees
Prices do not include:
- Travel to and from Bournemouth
- Arrival and departure transfers
- Optional insurances
- Extra fee for students aged 10-11 years old
- Visa fees (if any)
Arrival airports/railway stations (with approx. travel time to Bournemouth):
Bournemouth International Airport offers daily and weekly flights to and from numerous British and European destinations. Poole also offers daily ferry cruises to and from France.
- Bournemouth train station: 10 minutes (taxi)
- Bournemouth Airport-Bournemouth: 15 minutes (taxi)
- Southampton Airport-Bournemouth: 30 minutes (taxi) or 38 minutes (train)
- London Heathrow-Bournemouth: 1h30 (taxi) or 2h25 (express coach)
- London Gatwick-Bournemouth: 2h (taxi) or 3h30 minutes (express coach)
- London Stansted-Bournemouth: 2h30 minutes (taxi) or 4h (express coach)
Airport transfers available on request (fees apply, see price list)
Please note: Do not make travel arrangements until we have confirmed your enrolment in your chosen course (about 4 days after deposit payment).
In absence of agreement, the British Government has clearly stated that European citizens (EU members) can travel to and within the UK with either a valid ID-card or a personal passport until the 31/12/2020.
You might need a Visa for this programme? For more information please consult our page Visa Information.
Do not hesitate to contact us by telephone or email if you require any additional information.