This special Easter and Summer language programme includes 20 or 28 English lessons per week, with or without activities. It is available for students aged 14 - 19 years. An activity programme is associated to the 20 lessons per week course.
English language courses: the basics
- Lesson length: 40 minutes (WA school) and 45 minutes (ETC school)
- Class sizes: average of 12 students year round and maximum of 16 in the summer at WA school; average of 14 students year round and maximum of 18 in the summer at ETC school.
- Course schedule: lessons generally take place on mornings but can also be organised upon afternoons during the peak periods.
- Placement test: first day of classes
- Certificate of participation at the end of your stay
- CELTA-qualified native English teachers
Courses on offer
Standard Course: 20 general English lessons per week
Lessons take place from 9:30 to 12:30 from Monday to Friday. You will learn the four fundamental skills required to learn any language: reading, writing, speaking and listening. These lessons combine perfectly with the Excursions option, which includes supervised group activities outside of lesson times (see Dates and Prices tab) during the Easter and summer holidays.
This programme is available at ETC and Westbourne Academy. If you choose this programme, we will respect your choice of school, however we reserve the right to place you in either of the schools depending on availabilities, after having spoken to you about the change. Students applying together will always be placed together, unless mentioned otherwise.
Language level: beginner to advanced
Intensive Course: 28 lessons per week
This programme is available at ETC and only for students aged 16 - 19.
Slightly more intensive, these courses take place in the mornings and part of the afternoon. Students taking this course are not able to take part in the "Activities" option.
Language level: beginner to advanced
English and Activity Programme
During the Easter holidays and the months of July and August(see Prices & Dates tab), we offer the possibility to take part in an Activity programme as well as English lessons. These activities are varied and organised in English by our bilingual Group Leaders. The weekly programme, with the meeting place and time, is shown in the school.
Some of the many activities include::
5 half days of activities per week, for example:
- visit of Swanage
- visit of Poole
- visit of Christchurch
- beach games
- boat trips
- beach volleyball
- water park
2 evening activities per week, for example
- greyhound racing
- laser tag
Below is a sample of timetable (subject to potential changes):
All of the entry tickets and transport to the activities are included.
This option is compulsory for students under 16 who take the 20 lessons per week programme. This is to meet the supervision requirements during the part of the day when they do not have lessons.
Activities for students who did not select the Activity programme
Students who do not select the activities options can also take part in a selection of activities and excursions offered by the group leaders (depending on availabilities) by signing up on arrival.
They can also sign up individually for excursions at the school, organised in summer but also throughout the rest of the year (for example in London, New Forest, Dorset villages, Stratford upon Avon, Bath, Oxford etc). The student can sign up and pay on site. The schools also organise barbecues, karaoke nights and film evenings on a regular basis for free or a small cost.
Language programme in Bournemouth
Bournemouth is undoubtedly one of the best student towns on the southern coast of England. Its quaintness, charm and miles of sandy beach alongside the bustling atmosphere of the city have created a centre for tourism, education and business. Complete with an exceedingly well organised public transport system with links all over Britain and Europe, Bournemouth is a hub of activity. Even getting to London is as simple as hopping on a two hour train ride.
It's safe to say that there is a never a dull moment in this seaside town. Witness powerboat races, vintage car shows, international tennis championships and windsurfing competitions throughout the whole year. During the summer months there are weekly firework displays from the pier, along with laser light shows and the Musicmaker's festival. Bournemouth even has a unique 'Flowers by Candlelight' festival, where the towns's inhabitants light 15 000 candles in the central gardens. A safe and inviting city for young people, the beaches and pedestrian zones offer adolescents the opportunity to enjoy their holidays in a safe and relaxed environment.
Our partners for these programmes are ETC School (from 14 years) and Westbourne Academy (from 15 years). They offer high quality courses and environment.
ETC English School
ETC (Educational Training Centre), is a family-run institution founded in 1989 by Mr. David Jones. The school is located in the centre of Bournemouth, near to the town’s pedestrian area and the beach, some 500m from "the Square" and right next to the Central Gardens.
School facilities include:
- 44 bright, spacious classrooms in several buildings
- IT room
- Cafeteria (fresh, healthy, cold and hot meals are cooked from 8 am to 3 pm)
Accreditations: British Council and English UK
Westbourne Academy School of English
Westbourne Academy is a family-run institution that offers a traditional English atmosphere. Located in the Westbourne residential area, the school is 10 minutes away by bus from Bournemouth and Poole city centre. In this suburban neighbourhood, students find all the conveniences of banks, a post office, international restaurants, classic English pubs and a variety of retail outlets to satisfy every taste.
Accreditations: British Council and English in Britain
School facilities include:
- 15 spacious classrooms (including 2 with interactive boards)
- Recreation room
- Patio with table tennis
- IT room
- WiFi in the buildings and garden
- Language labs: practise your listening and speaking skills, watch movies or TV outside class hours
- Cafeteria (dishes served on site)
- Coin laundry (approx. £4)
Shared room *, shared bathroom, half board Monday-Friday, full board at the weekend.
The families are vetted and interviewed by the schools and offer a warm environment and ensure that students are well-integrated during their stay in England. Most of the families are experienced hosts, having welcomed students into their homes for years. The school welfare officers inspect the families regularly. Former students who wish to return to the same family should indicate this preference on their booking form.
Travel time to school: host families usually live 20-30 minutes (up to 55 minutes, direct bus route) from the schools by public transport in residential areas. Travel to school is easy and your host family will explain how to get to school and to the city centre.
Curfew for minors:
- 14- and 15-year-olds are not allowed to go out in the evening outside of the evening activity programme, organised by the Group Leaders.
- 16- and 17-year-olds are allowed to go out until 10:00 p.m. outside of the evening activity programme, provided they bring a signed parental permission slip.
- Bed linen provided (students should bring their own towels)
- Laundry: your host family will let you use their laundry facilities once a week or let you know their laundry day
- Families are regularly inspected by the school and are used to host foreign students (4 students per family maximum).
- Single rooms are available, though rare, and can be booked subject to availability for students aged 18+ (additional fees apply)
- The family provides half board (breakfast & dinner) Monday to Friday. On week-ends the family provides three meals a day. During the week, students can have snacks or a light meal in the school cafeteria or in a nearby café or restaurant at lunchtime for a minimal cost.
*Single room during the Easter holidays (Westbourne Academy)
Dates & Prices 2019
- 07/04 to 20/04 during Easter holidays
- 30/06 to 24/08 during Summer holidays.
Courses start every Monday.
Inlcuding classes, accommodation, meals as described, all taxes and enrolment fees.Apply
|Classes & homestay accommodation - shared room*, half board - Westbourne Academy & ETC|
|Duration||20 lessons||28 lessons (ETC)|
|1 week||495 €||595 €|
|2 weeks||895 €||995 €|
|3 weeks||1,295 €||1,445 €|
|4 weeks||1,695 €||1,895 €|
|* Single room during Easter holidays (Westbourne Academy)|
|Optional extras - per week|
|Excursion day (Saturday or Sunday)||45 €|
|Single room (over 18s only)||60 €|
|Special diet (vegetarian, halal, intolerances)||35 €|
|Activity option (5 afternoons & 2 evenings)|
|During 1 week||115 €|
|Per extra week||80 €|
|Airport transfers (per journey)|
- Course as described
- All taxes and school enrolment fees
- Language programme of choice
- Homestay accommodation, shared room (single room at Westbourne Academy during Easter holidays)
- Half-board (2 meals a day) during weekdays and full-board on weekends
- Supervision by our Group Leaders
- Course books and materials
- Certificate of participation
Prices do not include:
- Travel to Bournemouth
- Arrival and departure transfers
- Lunches Monday to Friday
- Local transport (out of activity programme)
Arrival airports/railway stations (with approx. travel time to Bournemouth):
Bournemouth International Airport offers daily and weekly flights to and from numerous British and European destinations. Poole also offers daily ferry cruises to and from France.
- Bournemouth Airport-Bournemouth: 15 minutes (taxi)
- Southampton Airport-Bournemouth: 30 minutes (taxi), 38 minutes (train)
- London Heathrow-Bournemouth: 1h30 (taxi) à 2h25 (express bus)
- London Gatwick-Bournemouth: 2h (taxi), 3h30 minutes (express bus)
- London Stansted-Bournemouth: 2h30 minutes (taxi), 4h (express bus)
Airport transfers available on request (fees apply, see price list)
Please note: Do not make travel arrangements until we have confirmed your enrolment in your chosen course (about 4 days after deposit payment).
You might need a visa for this course. For more information please visit our Visa Information page.
Do not hesitate to contact us by phone or email if you require any additional information.