Our junior stay is aimed at young people from 14 to 17 years old who wish to start English or improve their knowledge, combining classes and activities and benefiting from the excellent teaching offered by the school. Our bilingual group leaders, present on site for the duration of the stay, offer an additional guarantee.
English courses: general information
- Duration of a lesson: 40 minutes
- Maximum number of students per class: 16 (average 13)
- Schedule: Classes are held from 9am to 12pm, followed by a hot meal from 12:30pm to 1:20pm. An activity will take place every afternoon from Monday to Friday. An excursion day is also organised on Saturday.
- Placement test: on the first day of class
- Certificate of participation at the end of the stay
- The teachers teach their mother tongue and/or are graduates of teaching
- Regular evaluation of your progress
This programme includes: 20 lessons per week.
The lessons are thematic, dealing with subjects chosen according to the interests of young people: music, fashion, sports, current affairs, arts, etc.
Students are also encouraged to work on a variety of projects, both in groups and individually. These projects focus on specific language objectives and aim to maximize each student's potential. For example, they will be expected to make oral presentations, role-play, research British culture, etc.
Levels offered: beginner to advanced.
Every week, the school's staff organizes a programme of activities in English that includes :
- 5 half-days of sports, social and cultural activities: hiking, treasure hunt, beach games, laser game, ice rink, cricket, cinema, bowling, karaoke, international evenings, volleyball, football, table tennis, mini golf, climbing, swimming pool...
1 full day excursion (Saturdays) (for stays of 2 weeks minimum) : Oxford, London, Bath, Stonehenge and New Forest
Typical schedule (given as an example and subject to change) :
Bournemouth is undoubtedly the most pleasant and lively student town on the south coast of England. Charming and eclectic, it is a true centre for tourism, study and business. It is connected to the rest of England and to Europe via an excellent public transport network. London is only an hour and a half by train.
It is a safe and very pleasant city for kids and teenagers. The beaches, the beautiful parks in the city centre and the pedestrian areas in the centre allow them to enjoy their holidays in complete safety.
Westbourne Academy is a family establishment, offering a traditional English atmosphere. The school is located in the leafy, residential area of Westbourne, between Poole and Bournemouth, 10 minutes by bus from the centre of these two cities. The area is very pleasant and has many small shops, cafés and restaurants.
Accreditations : British Council and English in Britain
- 15 spacious classrooms (two with interactive dashboards)
- A relaxation room for students
- A patio with ping-pong tables
- A computer room
- Wi-Fi in the establishment and garden
- A language lab/multimedia centre (DVD or TV viewing as part of your learning experience)
- A small library
- A cafeteria (meals prepared on site)
Shared room, shared bathroom, full board with hot lunch
Most of our English families have been receiving students for many years. They are regularly inspected by the school representatives and most of them leave an excellent memory to the student.
Travel time to school : Families are generally located in a residential area within a 20-30 minute walk from the school (up to 55 minutes by direct bus). The routes are easy and the families tell the students which bus to take to get to school or to the city.
Curfew for minors :
- 14- and 15-year-olds are not allowed to go out in the evenings outside the supervised evening activities organized by the Group Leaders.
- Young people aged 16 and 17 have the possibility of going out in the evenings until 10:00 pm, outside the supervised activities, with the written agreement of their parents.
Practical information :
- Sheets provided (but not towels)
- Possibility to do your laundry (the family usually makes its washing machine available once a week and tells you the laundry day).
- Families are regularly inspected by the school. They are used to receiving foreign students (never more than 4 students per family).
- Lunch is taken in the school cafeteria (hot lunch provided).
- A bus pass is provided to students
Dates & Prices 2020
The summer stays 2020 with accompanied journeys, the "activities" and "excursion" options, and the presence of Group Leaders (bilingual instructors) on site, take place on the following dates:
- Summer Holidays 2020:
Arrival : dimanche 05/07, 19/07, 02/08, 16/08, 23/08
Departure : samedi 11/07, 18/07, 01/08, 15/08, 29/08
Other dates - If you wish to travel on a different date, we can reserve a ticket for you by bus, eurostar or plane, please consult us.
Comprenant cours, logement, repas comme décrit, toutes taxes et frais d’inscriptionCliquez ici pour vous inscrire
|Courses & Homestay & activities - Shared room, Full Board|
|Transfers airport-accommodation - Per ride|
Toutes taxes incluses
|Accompanied journey to Bournemouth (Prices in EUROS) - coach|
|City of departure||Return||One way|
|Bruxelles - Mons - Lille||215||135|
Our prices include :
- The chosen course formula
- Accommodation in a shared room in a host family (single room at Easter at Westbourne Academy)
- Full board
- All taxes and school administration fees
- The teaching material
- Supervision of the bilingual Group Leaders present on site
- A certificate of attendance mentioning the language level and the duration of the internship.
- Transportation on site
They don't include :
- The journey to and from Bournemouth (unless you opt for our accompanied journey)
- Arrival and departure transfers (unless you opt for our accompanied trip, in which case the outward transfer is included)
- Optional insurances
Arrival day : Sunday
Departure day : Saturday
Station or airport of arrival (with approximate travel time) :
Bournemouth International Airport has daily and weekly flights to many English and European destinations. Poole also offers daily ferries to France.
- Bournemouth Airport - Bournemouth : 15 minutes (by taxi)
- Southampton Airport - Bournemouth: 30 minutes (by taxi) to 38 minutes (by train)
- London Heathrow - Bournemouth: 1h30 (by taxi) to 2h24 (by express bus) - London Gatwick - Bournemouth: 2h (by taxi) to 3h30 minutes (by express bus) - London Stansted - Bournemouth: 2h30 (by taxi) to 4h (by express bus)
Transfer possible on request (subject to a fee, see tab "Dates & rates")
Note : do not book your ticket until we have confirmed your stay (about 4 days after payment of your deposit).
Group travel organized by us
Attention: With this accompanied trip, the arrival and departure days may be different from those originally planned.
Arrival day : Sunday
Departure day : Saturday
We organise a accompanied trip from Brussels to Bournemouth, on specific dates (see dates on voyage accompagné vers Bournemouth). Depending on the number of staff, a departure from Lille is also possible (train Lille-Brussels + coach).
On certain dates in July and August (depending on the number of employees), a departure from Mons is possible.
The transfer to the host family is also organized and included in the price of the trip.
Information on Brexit :
In the absence of an agreement, the UK Government has made it clear that national identity cards issued by EU Member States to their citizens will remain valid until 31 December 2020 inclusive for travel in the UK. As a result, EU residents will be able to continue to travel on their passports or ID cards alone until that date.
Do you need a visa to take this programme?
For more information on this subject, please consult our page Informations Visa.
Do not hesitate to contact us by mail or phone if you want more information about this subject.
Authorization for minors to leave the territory
For the French, the new rules from 15 January 2017 are as follows: "A child who travels abroad without being accompanied by one of his parents must present the following 3 documents:
- Minor's identity document: identity card or passport
- Form signed by one of the parents with parental authority
- Photocopy of the identity document of the signatory parent".
Belgian participants must also provide an authorization to leave the territory, to be requested at the communal house.