Language programme in London - Twickenham
The town of Twickenham is one of the top residential districts of South-west London, and one of the safest areas in the capital as it's located in the borough of Richmond upon Thames.
Preserving its London village charm, Twickenham has managed to retain its identity and quaintness while boasting of some famous landmarks. Kew Gardens and Richmond Park are two of the biggest royal parks in London, and the Twickenham rugby stadium is world renowned. With the tranquility of nature and the thrill of the rugby stadium, it's clear that Twickenham is the best of both worlds.
The town itself is very lively, and has numerous bars, pubs, restaurants and shops for you to enjoy. The quality of life is excellent here, and the fact that it's a highly residential area makes it quite safe. Being a direct 20 minute train ride away from London, Twickenham is the perfect option for those wanting the accessibility and bustling reality of London life while being able to go home to the tranquil, lush green space of an urban area.
The school is located in the wonderful St Mary's University Campus of Strawberry Hill in the district of Twickenham. Walpole House, the original main building, is a model of neo-gothic architecture dating all the way back to 1747. The college itself was founded in 1850, and is renowned for the quality of its sports related degree courses. Quite a few international sport teams actually stayed at Strawberry Hill during the Olympic Games in 2012. In fact, Mo Farah, the famous olympic champion, regularly trains on the campus' grounds!
The college has excellent modern facilities:
- Spacious classrooms located in the centre of the campus
- Large gymnasiums and sports halls (basketball, badminton, indoor hockey, indoor football, tennis, volleyball)
- Large playgrounds and sports pitches (football, hockey, etc.)
- A theatre and cinema
- Computer room (16 computers available)
- 24/7 permanent security on campus
- Free WIFI access
Accreditation: British Council
This programme is ideal for students aged 14 - 17 years old who want to improve their English while discovering London in a safe environment.
20 English lessons per week (15 hours)
- Lesson length: 45 minutes
- Class size: maximum 15 students
- Schedule: lessons will alternate weekly between morning and afternoon
- Placement test: first day of lessons
- Certificate of completion at the end of the stay
- CELTA-qualified native English teachers
- 5 language levels : elementary to advanced
Activities & excursions
Some of the many activities available include (per week):
- 4 half-day visits in and around London: Royal London, Kingston-on-Thames, Windsor Castle, Richmond, guided visit of Twickenham Stadium and World Rugby Museum, Hampton Court, London South Bank, British Museum, Victoria & Albert Museum, Science Museum, Natural History Museum, River Thames Cruise with on board Disco,...
- 1 full-day outing: London (Camden Market & Regent's Park), Oxford (tour of the colleges), the Tower of London & Covent Garden (3 weeks stay), Thorpe Park (4 weeks stay)
- 2 half-days of sports and leisure activities on campus: dodgeball, badminton, basketball, treasure hunt, Olympic Games, creative workshops...
- 5 evening activities on campus: welcome disco, quizz, talent show, murder mystery, gladiator contest...
- 2 evenings with host family
Optional activity (at extra cost): visit to Harry Potter - Warner Bros Studio
Below is a sample of timetable (subject to change):
Shared room, shared bathroom, full board.
All breakfasts + 2 evening meals are served within the host family, other meals are served either at the campus cafeteria or as packed-lunches during the excursions.
Travel time to school: host families live in residential areas in and around Twickenham, accessible by walk, bus or London Tube (between 10 and 30 minutes from the school). A local transport card is included.
Prices & Dates 2019
The school is open from 30/06 to 18/08.
Course start/end dates:
- 1 week : 30/06-07/07 ; 07/07-14/07 ; 14/07-21/07 ; 21/07-28/07 ; 28/07-04/08 ; 04/08-11/08 ; 11/08-18/08
- 2 weeks : 30/06-14/07; 07/07-21/07 ; 14/07-28/07; 21/07-04/08 ; 28/07-11/08 ; 04/08-18/08
- 3 weeks : 30/06-21/07 ; 07/07-28/07 ; 14/07-04/08 ; 28/07-11/08 ; 04/08-18/08
- 4 weeks : 30/06-28/07 ; 07/07-04/08 ; 14/07-11/08 ; 21/07-18/08
All taxes and enrolment fees includedApply
|Classes, Activities & homestay accommodation - shared room, full board|
|1 week||995 €|
|2 weeks||1,905 €|
|3 weeks||2,865 €|
|4 weeks||3,815 €|
|Harry Potter Studio Tour||85 €|
|Transfers: round trip|
|Stansted, Luton, City||245 €|
|St Pancras||245 €|
|UM - unaccompanied minor (per journey)||45 €|
*If you book a UM flight (unaccompanied minor), the supplement for the UM transfer is obligatory.
- 20 English lessons per week
- Homestay accommodation, shared room, full board
- Placement test
- Course materials
- Certificate of completion upon end of course
- Activities and excursions as described
- School staff supervision
- Local transportation
- Roundtrip transfers from and to London Heathrow Airport within the indicated time slots.
- All school taxes and enrolment fees
Prices do not include:
- Transport to and from London
- Arrival/departure airport transfers (except London Heathrow - LHR)
- Optional insurances
Roundtrip airport transfers are included from and to London Heathrow (LHR) for an arrival between 10:00 and 18:00 and a departure between 11:00 and 19:00.
Other arrival/departure possible airports or stations at indicated times as below and at extra charge (see "Dates & prices" tab)
London Gatwick (LGW): arrival between 10:00 and 17:00 ; departure between 14:00 and 18:00.
London Luton (LTN), London Stanstead (STN), London City (LCY) or London St Pancras (Eurostar) : arrival between 10:00 and 16:00 ; departure between 14:00 and 18:00
Please note: Do not make travel arrangements until we have confirmed your enrolment in your chosen course (around 4 days after payment has been made).
**Brexit : ** No visa required for EU citizens until the 31/12/2020.
Do you need a visa ? Please consult our visa information page