This programme is aimed at international students aged 16 - 18 years old who wish to study for one term in an international language school and enrol on a course dedicated to Business English or Hospitality and Tourism.
Charming and eclectic, Bournemouth is one of the UK's foremost university towns, with students flocking from the UK and overseas alike to enjoy the balmy weather, miles of beach and excellent quality of life. The city is well-connected to the rest of the UK and Europe via railway and London is just 90 minutes away by train.
Bournemouth bustles with activity and events are organized year-round - regattas, rallies, tennis championships and surfing competitions, to name but a few. Fireworks light up the night sky every weekend and the city's public gardens are dotted with glowing candles.
The beaches, parks, open spaces and pedestrian centre make for a lively yet relaxed atmosphere, perfectly conducive to meeting people and enjoying your stay as well as making the most of your study abroad year.
Westbourne Academy is a family-run institution that offers a traditional English atmosphere. Located in the Westbourne residential area, the school is 10 minutes away by bus from Bournemouth and Poole city centre. In this suburban neighbourhood, students find all the conveniences of banks, a post office, international restaurants, classic English pubs and a variety of retail outlets to satisfy every taste.
Westbourne Academy is a recognized Cambridge Exam preparation centre, a member of "English in Britain" (Association of Recognized Language Schools) and accredited by the British Council.
School facilities include:
- 15 spacious classrooms (including 2 with interactive boards)
- Recreation room
- Patio with table tennis
- IT room
- WiFi in the buildings and garden
- Language labs: practise your listening and speaking skills, watch movies or TV outside class hours
- Cafeteria (dishes served on site)
- Coin laundry (approx. £4)
The High School programme at Westbourne Academy is 15 weeks long and includes 31 hours per week combining 15 hours General English per week (every morning) and an internationally recognised vocational training (called 'BTEC L2', 3 afternoons per week). Specific English exam support sessions as well as Maths or British Culture lessons are also scheduled.
All students will have the support of a personal tutor to guide them through their studies and help with any personal or course-related issues to ensure they have the best experience and gain a valuable qualification as well as improving their English very quickly.
The courses also offer the opportunity to develop students' personal and professional skills to make them more employable. If they want to extend their schooling in England, they will be able to progress to the Business Level 2 Diploma at New City College in London. Students will also gain a BTEC certificate for their chosen courses and a Westbourne Academy certificate for English classes.
Course times : Monday to Friday - Morning 9:30AM – 12:30PM ; Afternoon 1:30PM – 4:30PM
Language level: B1 ou IELTS 4.5
Below is a sample of weekly timetable:
You can choose one from the two following options:
BTEC Award in Business + English
This course is popular and highly relevant for young international students who are passionnate about pursuing a career in business, or setting up their own business in the future, but with little to no knowledge in business studies.
- Being organised
- Develop a personal progression plan
- Finding out about businesses in Bournemouth
- Contributing to running an event
- Branding a product
BTEC award in Hospitality and Tourism
This is an introductory course for young motivated international students who want to pursue a career in tourism and hospitality but have no knowledge of these subjects.
- Being organised
- Develop a personal progression plan
- Exploring local visitor attractions
- Contribute to running a hospitality and tourism event
- Promoting hospitality and tourism events
Homestay (ages 16+)
Single room, shared bathroom, half board during the week, full board at the weekend.
Distance from school: families usually live in a residential area between 20 - 45 minutes away from the school, or close to a direct bus line).
- Bed linen provided (towels are not)
- Laundry facilities available (the family will usually let you use their washing machine once a week. Laundry is also available at school for £4).
- Families are regularly inspected and are used to host foreign students (4 students per family maximum).
Dates & Prices 2019/2020
From Sunday 01/09/2019 to Saturday 14/12/2019. From Tuesday 01/09/2020 to Saturday 12/12/2020
Price 2019 'all in': €3995 for the 15-week intensive course Price 2020 'all in': €4395 for the 15-week intensive course
- Your chosen course, including visits and activities scheduled in your selected module
- Course materials
- Homestay accommodation, single room
- Full board on weekends and half board during the week
- All school taxes and enrolment fees, examination fees as described
Prices do not include:
- Travel to/from Bournemouth
- Lunches Monday to Friday (can be bought at the school cafeteria)
- Local transportations and optional activities organised by the school (such as weekend excursions, etc.)
Please join to the online booking form a copy of your latest school report as well as a short cover letter (it must not be perfect: it will just certify your level and introduce you to your host family). All documents can be sent in PDF format.
Arrival airports/railway stations (with approx. travel time to Bournemouth):
- Bournemouth Airport-Bournemouth: 15 minutes (taxi)
- Southampton Airport-Bournemouth: 30 minutes (taxi), 38 minutes (train)
- London Heathrow-Bournemouth: 1h30 (taxi) à 2h25 (express bus)
- London Gatwick-Bournemouth: 2h (taxi), 3h30 minutes (express bus)
- London Stansted-Bournemouth: 2h30 minutes (taxi), 4h (express bus)
Airport transfers available on request (fees apply, see price list)
Please note: Do not make travel arrangements until we have confirmed your enrolment in your chosen course (about 4 days after deposit payment).
Please contact us for more details.