What does the English for Law/Legal English programme involve?
In classes made up of a maximum of 14 participants, the work method used by ETC follows the participation approach: you will be put in real professional situations and in the work conditions of the legal world, this will allow you to learn and manage professional exchanges as they happen daily and be at ease with legal vocabulary and jargon in English.
your lessons will be focused on:
- group exercises (analysis of legal texts and speeches)
- supervised discussions and debates (for, against, compromise)
- role plays
topics to be covered include:
- Company law
- Contractual law
- Employment law
- Sale of goods
- Ownership law
- Intellectual property
- Competition law
- Negotiable securities
- Secure transactions
What are the aims of this course?
This specialised training in legal English will allow you to:
- develop specialised vocabulary
- learn to use appropriate grammatical structures and syntax
- understand legal texts in English
- communicate effectively with your colleagues and international partners
- Know how to express legal ideas and concepts in English
- cope with everyday professional situations in English
What is a week of lessons like?
Each week you will have 20 lessons of general English taking place in the morning from 9.00 until 12.30 and a minimum of 10 lessons of legal English taking place in the afternoon. Lessons are given everyday, from Monday to Friday.
Who can do this course?
To participate in the "English for Law/Legal English" programme, you must be 18 years and have an intermediate level of English minimum. If necessary, you can book one or more weeks of general English lessons within the school ETC to improve upon your level.
In terms of profile,students, university students and legal professionals are all welcome to take this specialised programme. In general, this course is very popular with lawyers or future lawyers aiming to have an international career.
Living with a host family is without a doubt the best solution for the most effective immersion in English, you can discuss with your host family after a day of lessons and at the weekend. Host families are a maximum of 30 minutes from the school, on foot or on public transport.
The package includes:
- Half-board during the week (breakfast and evening meals)
- Full-board during the weekend
- An individual room
- Shared bathroom
For lunchtime meals, you will have the option to eat in the school cafeteria or to go into town, in one of the many shops or restaurants in the town centre.
During the summer and Easter holidays, placement is made by default in a double room. If you would like an individual room, a supplement will be required and your request will be subject to availability.
During your stay, you also have the choice to stay in one of a number of hotels within Bournemouth. If you wish for us to book you a room, contact us to give us information on your needs and budget.
Open September to July, the residence is located just next to the school, and less than five minutes from the town centre and the beach. You are given double rooms (or triple rooms on request) with bathroom and toilet and a free Wi-Fi connection.
Meals are not included and there is not a kitchen available in the residence. If you do not want to organise your own meals, you can choose the half-board supplement which will allow you to have breakfast and evening meals in the school cafeteria.
- A deposit of 250€ is to be paid on arrival. You will be reimbursed if no damage is found.
Dorchester House residence: Summer only.
Located 15 minutes by bus to the school and a few minutes by foot to the station, this residence is set up for adults who come to study in Bournemouth during summer. It offers apartments made up of six, seven or eight individual rooms, a sitting room and a kitchen (meals not included). Each room has a bathroom and double bed. Tenants have use of the laundry facilities, the Wi-Fi connection and bike storage.
- A deposit of £20 is to be paid on arrival. You will be reimbursed if no damage is found.
By choosing to come to Bournemouth, on the south coast of England, you get a high quality environment: mild climate, very nice summer temperatures, sea, beach, all the ingredients to give your stay a tourist dimension, very nice in the evenings and during the weekends.
Favoured both by the British as a seaside resort, by the university students as an eminently student town and by young foreigners as the destination of choice for a language programme, Bournemouth attracts all people and offers many things to do. This is a city that makes a good few weeks and should not disappoint you.
ETC, our partner school, has many building that house classrooms, a library, several IT suites with Wi-Fi, the cafeteria, and also an interior courtyard. You will therefore have all you need to do extra work on your lessons if necessary, connect online to keep in touch with the office if you wish to, but also you will have all you need to relax between lessons and during the lunch break.
The school is located five minutes from the town centre by foot and shopping areas, and barely 10 minutes to the beach on foot: make the most of it to give your course the air of a holiday!
group travel organised by Easy Languages
In July and August, as well as during the Belgian Easter holidays, we organise a weekly accompanied journey from Brussels, Mons, Calais and Paris to Bournemouth. more information here.
Individual travel organised by Easy Languages
We can organise your journey by air plane to England outside of the aforementioned periods. The flight can be booked to leave from Brussels or Paris to Southampton airport.
Travel organised by yourself and transfers
If you prefer to organise your own journey, you have the option to book one of our transfers from the railway stations and airports in Bournemouth, Southampton and London (see prices in the Prices & Dates tab).
Do you need a visa for this programme? To have more information on this subject, please consult our webpage visa information.
Do not hesitate to contact us by email or telephone if you wish more information on this subject.
Prices & Dates
- Courses start every Monday.
- Stays take place from Sunday to Saturday, except if you travel with Easy Languages in Summer or Easter.
The school is closed on: 03 & 06/04, 04 & 25/05, 31/08 and during the Christmas holidays, from 19 December to 3 January 2016.
No lessons will take place on these dates and they will not be reimbursed.
- Availabilities: Please note that the school is fully booked the week beginning 7th July.
- The programme "English for Law/Legal English"
- Accommodation with a host family in a single room (double room in summer) or in a residence (shared room)
- Half-board during the week and full-board at the weekend (homestay only)
- School material and course books, for stays of less than 4 weeks
- All taxes and enrolment fees
Prices do not include:
- The journey to and from Bournemouth
- In homestay: lunchtime meals
- In residence: all meals
- Local transport
- School books for stays of 4 or more weeks. Allow £45*/level for the 20L programmes and **£65/level for intensive programmes. Course books are to be paid for on site.