Language programme in Bournemouth
Bournemouth is without a doubt one of the best student towns on England's southern coast. Its charm, quaintness and kilometres of beach coupled with city atmosphere have helped make it an important centre for tourism, education and business. The city boasts a well-organized transportation system complete with an excellent network of buses and trains extending throughout Britain and to many parts of Europe. London is just two hours away by train.
It's never dull in Bournemouth, with powerboat races, vintage car shows, international tennis championships and windsurfing competitions taking place over the course of the year. During the summer, there are weekly firework displays from the pier, laser light shows, the Musicmaker's Festival and the unique Flowers by Candlelight Festival, where the people of the town gather to light 15,000 candles in the Central Gardens. A safe and inviting city for young people, the beaches and pedestrian zones offer adolescents the opportunity to enjoy their holidays in a safe and relaxed environment.
We offer general or intensive English courses in Bournemouth for adults or motivated students. We also offer the option of preparing for certain international exams like the Cambridge Exams ( FCE, CAE ) and the IELTS.
ETC (Educational Training Centre), is a family-run institution founded in 1987 by Mr. David Jones. The school is known for the quality of its programs and staff who are both friendly and readily available. Long-stay students can prepare for internationally-recognized Cambridge and IELTS exams. The school is located in the centre of Bournemouth, near to the town’s pedestrian area and the beach, some 500m from "the Square" and right next to the Central Gardens.
Activities / Recreation during your stay
The school organizes sports and cultural activities in the afternoon and evening which you are free to participate or not. These activities can be free or at cost and the frequency varies depending on the time of year. Example of possible activities: - Guided tour through Bournemouth - Welcome activity, barbecue, Movie night - Visit museums - going to a restaurant / bar / pubs - Excursions to London, New Forest, Durdle Door, Corfe Castle, Oxford, Portsmouth, Swanage, Bath, Christchurch, Salisbury and Stonehenge (between 25 and £ 30) - Bowling (approx. £ 7) - Pool (approx. £ 8) - Laser Game (approx. £ 8) - Surfing Lesson (approx. £ 15 / session) - 12 km of sandy beach
English language course : the basics
- Lesson length 45 minutes
- Class size: maximum 14 students (18 during peak season)
- Schedule : morning and/or afternoon lessons
- Placement test: on first day
- Attendance certificate
- Progress monitoring
Courses on offer
Standard English: 20 lessons per week 4 lessons a day will give you a practical understanding of the English language and take you all the way to fluency. See your confidence improve in all four communication skills: speaking, listening, reading and writing Language levels: beginners to advanced
Semi-intensive English: 24 lessons per week In addition to the standard programme, you will have 4 extra lessons from Monday to Friday from 1:15 pm to 2:00 pm, focusing on speaking and listening
Language levels: beginners to advanced
Intensive English: 28 lessons per week
In addition to the standard programme, you will have 4 extra lessons from Monday to Friday from 1:15 pm to 2:45 pm, focusing on speaking and listening
Language levels: beginners to advanced
Super intensive English: 40 general English lessons per week You will follow a dual schedule of 8:45 to 12:45 and from 14h to 18h. Proposed levels: beginner to advanced
Exam preparation courses: FCE, CAE, CPE or IELTS: 20 or 24 exam preparation classes per week
Length of stay: 12 weeks
Please check the tab Prices & Dates for starting dates.
Language entry level: intermediate
Students 16 to 17 years can study at ETC school only if they are in possession of a signed parental consent.
For a true immersion experience, we recommend staying with a host family. The majority of our host families have been looking after students for years and are quite accustomed to it. They are regularly inspected by representatives of the school and are almost entirely the reason students leave Bournemouth with fond memories. (If you are a former student and wish to return to a host family you have stayed with in the past, please indicate this on your enrollment form.)
Half board is provided Monday to Friday. It is up to the student to purchase lunch during the week, which can be done either at the school's cafeteria or at the many local sandwich shops or restaurants. Students receive full board on the weekend.
Host families are generally situated in a residential area roughly a 20 to 30-minute walk from the school or close to a bus stop. Bus journeys are straightforward and simple, and the families will be able to tell the students which buses to take.
Outside of the Easter and summer holidays, you will be able to book a single room without any extra cost. During these holidays, however, demand is much higher and single rooms are therefore much rarer. You can still try to reserve an single room that is at an extra cost and subject to availability.
(Please note that during Summer time, students from 16 and 17 can only be placed in shared rooms)
ETC Residence: not during Summer (September to June - Age 18+)
For stays of at least four weeks, students can opt for the school's own residence (18+). Situated next door to ETC school itself, 500 meters from the city center and 200 meters from the beach, this residence was renovated in 2011 and can now accommodate 90 students. A member of ETC staff will always be available in the central foyer, 24 hours a day, for any problems you may have.
- Double rooms with attached bathroom
- Self-catering, breakfast, or half board options(at the school's cafeteria)
- Deposit of 250€ (refundable)
- Laundry (pay - 7GBP)
- Study Rooms with quiet offices
- Sheets (not bath towels)
- Internet access via Wi-Fi throughout the building
- guarded access
- Reception available 24/24
- The cleaning of the residence and room is made once a week. The rooms are nevertheless inspected daily. The rest of the time, as in any roommate, cleaning is the responsibility of everyone.
Available year round except between July and August (see below "Dorchester house" in summer)
Optional, to be paid extras: - Half board - Mini fridge, available at reception
Dorchester House: Summer only (from 02/07 to 19/08/2017 - Age 18+)
- Apartments each with 6-8 single rooms, a kitchen and a lounge.
- Room with large bed, desk and leather chair
- Toilet and bathroom in each room
- No meals included
- Travel time to the school: 12 minutes by bike, 15 minutes by bus, 30 minutes walk
- Location: right next to Bournemouth railway station and a hypermarket
- Deposit to be paid on site (see price table), payable in the school at end of stay if no damage is found
Facilities / Services available:
- Shared kitchen, modern and equipped (microwave, cooker and hob, fridge)
- Launderette (paid)
- Linens and towels provided
- Internet access via Wi-Fi throughout the building
- Bike garage
- The cleaning of the residence and the rooms is done once per week. The rooms are nevertheless inspected daily. The rest of the time, as in any roommate, cleaning is the responsibility of everyone.
Prices & Dates 2017
Lessons begin every Monday unless mentioned otherwise (see below). When the Monday falls on a bank holiday, lessons start on the Tuesday)
Exam preparation sessions:
- FCE, CAE or IELTS preparation (12-week sessions):
9th of January, 3rd of April, 26th of June and 18th of September 2017
The school is closed on the following dates: 24 December until 8 Januari 2017, 17 March, 14 April, 1 & 29 May, 28 August. No lessons will take place on these dates and they will not be refunded.
**Dates for preperation of FCE, CAE and IELTS (12 weeks) - From January 9 to March 31, 2017 - From April 03 to 23 June 2017 - From June 26 to September 15, 2017 - From September 18 to December 22, 2017
All taxes includedBook Now
|Escorted travel to Bournemouth - Easter and Summer Programme (Prices in EUROS)|
|Places of departure / return||Roundtrip||One way trip|
|Brussels - Mons* - Lille* - Calais*||215 €||135 €|
*Easter: only Brussels - contact us if necessary
The rates above include:
- The formula of courses and selected housing
- Accommodation in single rooms (excluding summer) family or shared room in residence
- Family: full board weekends and half board on course days
- All taxes and school administrative costs
The rates above do not include:
- The trip to and from Bournemouth (unless you opt for our guided journey)
- Transfers on arrival and departure
- Family: lunch Monday through Friday
- In residence: meals
- Local transportation
- The course books for stays from 1 to 3 weeks. This equipment can be borrowed on site at low prices.
- The course books for stays from 4 weeks. Provide £ 50 / level to purchase them for the program of 20 lessons and 70 £ / level for intensive programs (payable locally).
- The deposit if required (payable locally by credit card)
- The examination fee if applicable (about 145GBP Cambridge, IELTS about 175GBP, etc.)
- Visa fees
- The optional insurance
Arrival day: Sunday (from 16.00 in Residence) Departure day: Saturday (before 12.00 in Residence)
Arrival airports and stations & travel time to Bournemouth
Bournemouth Airport-Bournemouth: 15 minutes (taxi) Southampton Airport-Bournemouth: 30 minutes (taxi), 38 minutes (train) London Heathrow-Bournemouth: 1hr 30 mins (taxi) à 2hrs 24 mins (express bus) London Gatwick-Bournemouth: 2hrs (taxi), 3hrs 30 minutes (express bus) London Stansted-Bournemouth: 2hrs 30 minutes (taxi), 4hrs (express bus)
Airport transfers available on request (fees apply, see price list)
Please note: Do not make travel arrangements until we have confirmed your enrolment in your chosen course.
Organised group Travel
During July and August as well as during Easter holidays, we organise a weekly accompanied journey from Brussels, Mons, Lille and Paris to Bournemouth.
- Accompanied round trip transport
- The extra night in case of Sunday return
- Arrival transfer to Homestay or Residence
More information about the group travel to Bournemouth.
Accompanied travel Paris/Lille or Lille/Paris: An LV/Easy Languages escort is present upon each train departure from Paris and each arrival in Lille where all participants gather and meet the group arriving from Brussels.
You might need a visa for this course. For more information please visit our Visa Information page.
Do not hesitate to contact us by phone or email if you require any additional information.