Brisbane is the capital city of Queensland (known as the “Sunshine State”). This charming city situated on the east coast of Australia enjoys a mild, semi-tropical climate year-round. With the Gold Coast to the south and the Sunshine Coast to the north, and domestic and international airports nearby, Brisbane is an ideal destination for an Australian vacation. Residents and visitors of Brisbane enjoy a wide range of scenery and lifestyles, from the cosmopolitan city to the surrounding grassy, sometimes very hilly, suburbs.
Moreton Bay and its islands offer water sports, sailing and seaside suburbs. The Pacific Highway leads south to the Gold Coast and its well-known surf beaches, such as those of Bribie Island. To the north is the seaside town of Redcliffe, the rainforest and the picturesque countryside of Pine Rivers, Caboolture and the Glasshouse Mountains. Travelling west of Brisbane, past Ipswich, you soon climb the Great Dividing Range to Toowoomba and the rich plains of the Darling Downs.
Lexis English school
Our partner school Lexis is located in the heart of Brisbane, close to Queen Street shopping Mall and to Brisbane's river.
Accreditations: English Australia, University of Cambridge
School facilities include:
- School spread over 2 floors with 16 modern classrooms
- Air conditioning
- Free WiFi access
- Lounge with a ping pong table
- A library
- Fully equipped kitchen with tea and coffee
- A terrace
Activities and events during your stay
The school organises workshops and activities (sports, competitions, cooking, movie nights, visits...) every week during the afternoons and evening, and excursions every weekend. You are very welcome to participate in these activities, though they are not mandatory. These activities may be free or require a fee, and the availability and variation depends on the season.
Some of the many activities available include:
- Job workshop, conversation club, practice workshop (pronounciation, writing skills, grammar...)
- Yoga, sky diving
- Movie nights, origami
- Visit to the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary nature reserve
- Museum visits
- Regional festivals
- Weekend excursions: Noosa, Springbrook National Park and Byron Bay, Moreton Island (whale & dolphin watching), the Great Barrier reef
English language courses: the basics
- Lesson length: 60 minutes
- Maximum number of students per class: 16 (12 on average)
- Timetable: classes are generally held in the morning and/or the afternoon depending on the chosen programme
- Placement test on the first day of class
- Certificate of participation at the end of your stay
- Regular progress reports through weekly tests
- Teachers are qualified to teach English as a foreign language
Courses on offer
Standard course: 15 hours of general English per week
This course will help you develop the 4 basic skills of written expression, oral expression, reading and listening comprehension. You will also develop the skills to use English in everyday situations.
Language level: all levels
Intensive course: 25 hours a week
In addition to the standard course, you will have 10 optional courses per week to choose from the following list according to your language level:
- Vocabulary and Grammar workshop
- Business English
Language level: all levels
It must be noted that certain options are only available to intermediate or advanced students
Cambridge exam preparation (FCE, CAE & CPE): 21 hours per week, 20h of exam preparation + 1h of tutoring/workshop/English activity
Course duration: 10 or 12 weeks depending on the dates (see Dates and Prices tab)
This programme helps ameliorate your general level of English while preparing you for the exam with specific techniques and strategies. You will take mock exams to better prepare you for the required skills and techniques you need to pass. Your results will be analysed (strong points & weak points) before formulating the best strategy to help you suceed.
Language level required: intermediate (FCE), upper intermediate (CAE) & advanced (CPE)
IELTS preparation: 21 hours a week, 20h of exam preparation + 1h of tutoring/workshop/English activity
Course duration: 4-12 weeks
If you wish to attend university in an English-speaking country or certify your English proficiency, preparing for the IELTS exam is the first step to success.
Language level required: intermediate
Host Family (ages 16+)
Single room, shared bathroom, breakfast.
Distance from school: 35-40 min from school by public transports
- Half board
- Premium (half board during the week, full board at the weekend, private bathroom, one student per family & laundry included)
- Bed linen provided
Student house (ages 18+)
twin room, share bathroom, self catering
Distance from school: 3 km, 40 min on foot. Possibility of taking the free river shuttle.
Dates & Prices 2019
Course start dates: Most courses start every Monday year-round (exceptions are outlined below.) On Bank Holiday Mondays, lessons start on Tuesdays.
Bank holidays and holidays: 01/01, 28/01, 19/04, 22/04, 25/04, 06/05, 14/08, 07/10
Christmas holidays: from 23/12 to 29/12
Cambridge Exam preparation sessions:
FCE, CAE, CPE :
- 18/03 - 07/06 (12 weeks)
- 09/09 - 29/11 (12 weeks)
FCE, CAE :
- 17/06-23/08 (10 weeks)
- Your chosen language programme
- Accommodation with a host family & breakfast
- Single room and shared bathroom
- Course materials
- All taxes and school administrative fees
Prices do not include:
- Travel from/to Brisbane
- Airport transfers
- Local transportation
- Exam fees where applicable (Cambridge, IELTS or TOEIC)
- Visa fees
- Optional insurance
- OSHC medical insurance - obligatory for all journeys over 1 month with a student visa (around €40 per month)
- Brisbane, BNE
- Gold Coast, OOL
Airport transfers available on request (for a fee, please see 'Dates & Prices' tab)
If you require departure/return transfers, you need to arrive/leave between 7am and 9pm. Otherwise, an extra fee is applicable (see 'Dates & Prices' tab).
Please note: do not make travel arrangements until we have confirmed your enrolment in your chosen course (about 4 days after deposit payment.
Do you need a Visa for this programme? For more information please consult our page Visa Information.
Do not hesitate to contact us by telephone or email if you require any further information.