Cambridge has an almost unparalleled reputation for its high-calibre university, producing the likes of Sir Isaac Newton, Bertrand Russell and Ludwig Wittgenstein. The history and traditions that have withstood the test of time make students feel as if they are living and breathing Cambridge history. Not only that, but it's a wnonderful mixture of a student towm, a cosmopolitan area and an ancient historical site. There are plenty of things to do and see around the beautiful little city, making it a hot destination for young people wanting to learn English.
Climb to the top of Great St. Mary's cathedral for a spectacular view of the town from above. Go rowing, or for an even more typical Cambridge experience, give punting on the Cam a try. Students can take walks through "the Backs", going down peaceful meadows to the river's edge with picturesque views of the colleges. In the heart of East Anglia, Cambridge itself is easily accessible by train, bus, car, and by plane, making it easy to travel around England (and maybe even a sneaky trip over to the rival university Oxford, just for a comparison!).
Founded in 1954, Studio Cambridge, has years of EFL experience under its belt. Accredited by the British Council and a member of English UK and Education UK, the school offers Intensive English and exam prep courses for young people and adults as well as fun-filled language and activity programs. With qualified and experienced teachers, the courses always include a range of activities and local visits after classes. Every week, 180 to 250 students are engaged throughout and encouraged to speak English with fellow participants from every corner of the world.
It is also the oldest language school in Cambridge and is located in the very heart of the city (400m from the railway station and 10 min walk from the city centre).
School facilities include:
- 23 bright, spacious and comfortable classrooms in 2 buildings
- Excellent library facilities with books, CDs, DVDs, newspapers, magazines & a quiet reading area
- IT room
- Projection room
- Cafeteria with breakfast, lunch and snacks
Our school organizes a weekly entertainment programme for participants. Every week there is a Pub Night - an opportunity to make new friends, practice your English and have fun. We also have traditional afternoon tea, orientation tours of the city, museum visits, football, parties and trips to the theatre and cinema. All daytime and evening activities offered are free of charge; however, there are some recommended events such as student nights at clubs in the city, or cultural and theatre trips that may require an additional fee.
- Walking tour of the city (the River Cam, universities, museums, botanical gardens)
- Welcome activity
- Evenings in restaurants / bars / pubs
- Excursions (around £22): London, Bath, Canterbury, Windsor Castle, Stonehenge and Salisbury (ages 18+)
- Sport (volleyball, badminton, basketball, frisbee, swimming)
- Evenings of games, movie and pizza, movies, bingo
- British Culture: conversation club, cake decorating and cookies, quizzes, English tea, bingo
All levels are welcome, from beginner to advanced. The school is open to participants aged 16+.
- Duration of a lesson: 45 minutes
- Maximum number of students per class: 16 (13 on average)
- Timetable: classes are usually held in the morning from 09:15 - 12:45, but can also take place in the afternoon during peak season
- Placement test: first day of classes
- Access to courses before or after the programme
- Weekly evaluation of your progress (for programmes lasting 4 weeks or more)
- Teachers are qualified to teach English as a foreign language
Standard course: 20 lessons of general English per week
Classes are held every morning for this course. You will develop the four basic language skills: written & oral expression and listening and reading comprehension. Oral communication will be heavily focused on, and the content of the course differs in accordance with the language level.
Language level: beginner - advanced (only for those aged 18+)
Intensive course: 28 lessons of general English per week
In addition to the standard course, you will also have 8 extra lessons from 13:45 - 15:15. Depending on your language level, you'll have a choice between different modules (English culture, Business English, TOEIC preparation, academic English, advanced oral communication, advanced written expression and advanced reading).
Language level: beginner - advanced (available for students aged 16+)
Exam preparation for the Cambridge exams (FCE et CAE) or the IELTS exam: 28 lessons per week
- 5, 6 or 8 weeks for the Cambridge exams
- 4 or 6 weeks for the IELTS
Preparatory exam courses are held throughout the whole year on specific dates. This is a full time course. Teachers hold a specialised qualification or have the status of an examiner.
Language level required: upper intermediate (B2) (available for students aged 16+)
Staying with a host family is the best way to fully delve into the English language and culture. We take enormous care in selecting the best host families for the students and all of our families are carefully screened. Students are encouraged to spend time with their families in order to make the most out of their stay in the country.
Single room, shared bathroom, half board
Distance from school: families are generally located in a residential area. Families live within an area located between 20 - 30 minutes away from the school, either on foot, by bike or by bus.
- Bedding and towels provided (changed every week)
- You'll be able to do your washing (the family will usually give you a specific day to use their washing machine and show you how to use it)
- Internet connection is usually available
- If another student is also placed with the same host family, they will be of a different nationality
Four Star accommodation: (higher standard, larger home and additional facilities)
Five Star (highest standard, large house, usually with a private bathroom)
Tripos Court: specific residential building for students
- Modern, single rooms (double rooms available for two students travelling together), with a shower and a toilet
- Distance from school: 10 minute walk
- Location: a residential area of Cambridge, close to restaurants, bars sports centres and activities. It's a 20 minute walk from the centre of Cambridge.
- Deposit to be payed on arrival (please see 'Dates & Prices' tab), reimbursed by the school at the end of your stay if no evidence of damage has been found.
- Shared kitchen with all cookware included
- Lounge area with a TV
- Laundry facilities (for a fee)
- Bedding provided and changed once a week
- Towels are not provided
- Private garden
- Cleaning is carried out once a week
Dates & prices 2019
Start of course: most lessons start on every Monday during the whole year. Classes take place on public holidays, except on 01/01/2019.
Public holidays (school will be closed) : from 15/12/18 to 07/01/19 and from 20/12/19 au 06/01/20
Preparation classes for Cambridge exams will start on:
- For a 5-week stay: 20/05
- For a 6-week stay: 14/01, 25/02, 08/04, 09/06, 04/11
For a 8-week stay: 21/10
Days of examinations
FCE: 23/02, 09/04, 18/05, 22/06, 09/08, 19/10, 14/12
CAE: 27/02, 06/04, 18/05, 22/06, 10/08, 19/10, 14/12
Preparation classes for IELTS exams will start on:
For a 3-week stay: 04/03, 25/11
For a 4-week stay: 07/01, 04/02, 01/04, 06/05, 03/06, 01/07, 29/07, 02/09, 30/09, 28/10
- IELTS exam takes place on: 01/02, 01/03, 22/03, 26/04, 31/05, 28/06, 26/07, 23/08, 27/09, 25/10, 22/11, 13/12
All taxes and enrolment fees included, lessons and accomodation with a host familyApply
|Lessons & accomodation with a host family - Individual room, half-board|
|Duration||20 lessons||28 lessons||Cambridge||IELTS 28L|
|Optional extras - per week|
|Extra for 16 and 17-year-old students||90|
|Transfers - Per trip|
|Optional extras to be paid on site, on arrival|
|IELTS examination fees||170|
|Cambridge examination fees||170|
- Chosen English programme
- Accommodation in single room
- Host family: full board during the weekend and half board on days where you have classes
- A welcome pack
- All administrative fees
- Course materials
Prices do not include:
- Transport to Cambridge
- Transfers on arrival and departure
- Host family: lunch from Mon-Fri
- In a residence: all meals
- Transport in and around Cambridge
- Deposit, if applicable (to be payed on-site)
- Exam fees, if applicable (Cambridge & IELTS)
- Optional insurance
Arrival day: Sunday
Departure day: Sunday
- London St Pancras
- London Heathrow*
- London Gatwick*
- London Stansted*
- London City*
- London Luton*
(*)Transfers available on request (for a fee, please see 'Dates & Prices' tab)
Note: do not reseve your ticket before we have confirmed your place in the programme (around 4 days after payment has been made)
Brexit : no visa will be required of EU-citizens until the 31/12/2020
Do you need a visa for this programme? For more information please consult our page Visa Information.
Please do not hesitate to contact us by telephone or email if you require any additional information.
Discover Studio Cambridge: