Edinburgh, the Athens of the North. With its fantastic castle perched atop the volcanic Rock Castle, Edinburgh is majestic, stately, and mesmerizing. Just like in Greece, Edinburgh's acropolis, Calton Hill, sits high up on the hill looking down over the city. Right on the seaboard, Edinburgh is a city of fascinating architecture built into hills, cliffs, and crags, so much so that the entire city has been proclaimed a World Heritage site. From the castle to the elegant Georgian Crescents, art galleries, museums, botanic gardens, numerous bistros, halal shops and tapas bars, Edinburgh has something for everyone.
Known for its rowdy pubs and vibrant festivals, there is always somewhere to go or something to do. There is the excitement of the Edinburgh Festival, attracting many a number of performers and catering to all tastes and budgets, as well as the Hogmanay New Year celebrations and May Day. Scotland’s reputation for academic excellence attracts many undergraduate and post-graduate students to its four universities, making Edinburgh a diverse and exciting cosmopolitan city. And for those who enjoy the countryside, there are beautiful beaches and rolling hills within a short bus ride of the city centre or for the more adventurous traveller, there is regular transportation to the Highlands and Islands.
The Language Institute
Founded in 1991, our partner school is located in a quiet residential area in the West End of Edinburgh but is still only 10 minutes walk from the city's main shopping streets and the historic "Edinburgh Castle". Staff are warm and welcoming and public transport is easily accessible from the school.
The Language Institute is accredited by English UK and the British Council.
School facilities include:
- 9 classrooms
- IT suite
- Library with books and videos
- Vending machine with hot drinks and spring water
- Student kitchen (microwave, refrigerator)
- Movie room
- Games room
- Garden, terrace and balcony
- Free access to language learning software
Activities and events during your stay
You will enjoy a varied calendar of social and leisure activities every week, in the afternoon or during the evening. Attendance is optional. Many of these activities are free of charge, however, some may charge a fee. All activities are subject to change without notice and may be offered seasonally.
Some of the many activities available include:
- Guided tour of Edinburgh, Edinburgh Castle, Holyrood Palace
- Welcome activity
- Tour of museums and art galleries
- Botanic Gardens
- Restaurant/bar/pub outings
- Barbecue in the school gardens, Scottish ceilidh dancing
- 1- or 2-day excursions: Glencoe, Ben Nevis, Loch Lomond and the Trossachs
English language courses: the basics
- Lesson length: 60 minutes
- Class size: Average 6 students (maximum 14, and maximum 3 for Business English)
- Schedule: classes are usually held in the morning, 9:30-11am, 11:30am-1pm, but may also be held in the afternoon during the peak season. Semi-intensive session: 1:30-3pm
- Placement test: first day of lessons
- Certificate of completion at the end of your stay
- Open access to online lessons before or after your stay
- Regular progress tests (for stays over 3 weeks)
- Qualified native English teachers
Courses on offer
Standard General English: 15 lessons per week
4 lessons a day will give you a practical understanding of the English language and take you all the way to fluency. See your confidence improve as TLI trains you in all four communication skills: speaking, listening, reading and writing.
Language level: all levels
- Intensive English: 22.5 lessons per week
The ideal course to get your English where you want it to be, fast. Includes the above Standard General English classes, in addition to 7.5 hours of speaking-focused afternoon lessons per week. Class sizes are usually smaller for speaking lessons with more student-teacher time.
Language level: all levels
Business English: 22.5 or 30 lessons per week
The Business English course will allow you to improve your English fluency and empower you with the language, knowledge and skills to confidently deal with a variety of business issues. Areas that are available for study include: using English on the telephone, English for presentations, English in meetings, English in negotiating, banking, administration, the office, and many more. There are maximum 3 students per class to ensure fast progress and a tailored approach to your learning needs.
Language level: Intermediate
Exam Preparation Courses: FCE, CAE, CPE, IELTS
- IELTS: 4 weeks
- Cambridge Exams: 6 weeks
Exam preparation courses are held year-round: 22.5 hours per week
Language level: Intermediate (B1+)
Homestay (Ages 16+)
Single room (shared room October-May peak season), shared bathroom, half board Monday-Friday, full board at the weekend.
Travel time to school: 10-40 minutes by public transport
- Bedlinens/towels provided
- Laundry: once per week
- All rooms have a desk for you to work at and do your homework and a wardrobe for you to keep your clothes in
- Single room, October-May
Dates & Prices 2017
Course start dates Most courses start every Monday year-round (exceptions are outlined below.) On Bank Holiday Mondays, lessons start on Tuesdays.
Bank holidays and holidays (No lessons will take place on these dates and they will not be made up or refunded): 23rd of December 2017 to the 7th of January 2018
Exam Prep Course Dates:
- From January to March 2017
- From March to June 2017
- From June to September 2017
- From September to December 2017
(Exam dates are subject to change at the local centre's discretion. For more information, visit the Cambridge exam website)
IELTS exam dates are posted on the IELTS website
- Your chosen course
- Homestay, half board Mon-Fri, full board weekend
- Single room (shared in the peak season), shared bathroom
- Course materials
- Student card with shopping discounts
- All taxes and enrolment fees
Prices do not include:
- Transport to Edinburgh
- Airport transfers
- Optional extras
- Midday meals, Mon-Fri
- Transportation in and around Edinburgh (approx. £13/week)
- Course materials for the exam preparation course
- Deposit on arrival, where applicable
- Exam fees, where applicable (Cambridge, IELTS)
- Visa fees
- Optional insurance
- Edinburgh Turnhouse Airport (EDI): 25 minutes to the city centre by bus
Airport transfers available on request (fees apply, see price list)
Please note: Do not make travel arrangements until we have confirmed your enrolment in your chosen course.
You might need a visa for this course. For more information please visit our Visa Information page.
Do not hesitate to contact us by phone or email if you require any additional information.