The Sunshine State conjures up images of multi-million dollar mansions, untamed wildlife, Latino communities and jaw-snapping crocs. This cultural potpourri blends unique flora and fauna in the heart of the Everglades, city glitz on the boulevards of Miami and peace and serenity on the many white sandy beaches and glittering waters of the Keys.
Fort Lauderdale, the Venice of America, with its lattice of canals stretching out in all directions from the centre of town, is home to over 100 marinas and 50,000 pleasure boats. The city remains a tourist hub, but its popularity is well-deserved: it's the perfect balance between fun and relaxation.
LAL English School
LAL Fort Lauderdale is a modern, two storey learning centre sharing a property with its residence. The school is located only 10 minutes from the beach and 20 minutes from the trendy Las Olas Boulevard and the famous Fort Lauderdale Beach. A variety of restaurants, coffee shops, supermarkets, shopping, banks and pharmacies are all within walking distance of the school. LAL Fort Lauderdale is also a Cambridge Test Centre.
LAL is accredited by CEA and English USA.
School facilities include:
- 19 bright, recently renovated classrooms with AC, including a dedicated exam preparation classroom
- Multimedia centre
- Free WiFi access throughout the centre
- Audio equipments
- Well documented library
- Large student lounge with flat screen TV, video games, ping pong table
- Covered patio & garden
- Heated pool shared with the residence
- Snacks and drinks available
- Wheelchair accessible
Activities and events during your stay
You will enjoy a varied calendar of social and leisure activities every week, in the afternoon or during the evening. Attendance is optional. Many of these activities are free of charge, however, some may charge a fee. All activities are subject to change without notice and may be offered seasonally.
Some of the many activities available include:
- Tour of Miami Seaquarium
- Visit to the Kennedy Space Center
- Half-day cruise around Fort Lauderdale
- Everglades airboat tour
- Key West adventure trip: jet-skiing, kayaking, parasailing, snorkelling)
- Weekend trip to Orlando
English language courses: the basics
- Lesson length: 45 minutes
- Class size: Average 12 students (maximum 15)
- Schedule: morning and/or afternoon lessons
- Placement test: first day of lessons
- Certificate of completion at the end of your stay
- Open access to the e-learning site up to 12 weeks after your stay
- Regular progress tests
- English teachers qualified to teach their native tongue as a foreign language
Courses on offer
Standard course: 20 lessons per week
4 lessons a day will give you a practical understanding of the English language and take you all the way to fluency. See your confidence improve as LAL trains you in all four communication skills: speaking, listening, reading and writing.
Language level: beginner to advanced
Intensive course: 30 lessons per week
The ideal course to get your English where you want it to be, fast. Includes the above General English course in addition to 10 speaking-focused lessons to help you develop your fluency.
Language level: beginner to advanced
Exam Preparation Courses
Cambridge ESOL: 30 lessons per week
Session length: 6 or 10 weeks on specific start dates (pleae see 'Prices & Dates' tab).
Your teachers will guide and monitor you to make sure that you progress at the correct rate to succeed in your exam, giving you the specific vocabulary and grammar and study plan you need. Using sample exam papers you will learn how to effectively answer questions so by the time you take the test, you will know the style of questions to expect and how to answer them.
- FCE: Intermediate
- CAE: Upper intermediate
- CPE: Advanced
TOEFL exam: 30 lessons per week
Session length: 4 or 6 weeks on specific dates (please see 'Prices & Dates' tab).
If you wish to attend university in an English-speaking country, preparing for the TOEFL exam is the first step to success. Your teachers will meet with you individually to assess your language proficiency and goals. Sample papers will help you learn how to effectively answer questions and learn the techniques you need to sit the exam with confidence.
Language level: intermediate (B1)
Host family (Ages 16+)
Shared room, shared bathroom and half board.
Travel time to school: average of 20-30 minutes by public transport
- Single room
- Private bathroom (only with single room)
- Bed linen and towels provided
- Laundry: your host family will let you use their laundry facilities once a week or let you know their laundry day
Residence (ages 18+)
La Quinta Inn
La Quinta Inn is located on-site, making your stay there particularly convenient.
- Single or shared room
- Bathroom in each room
- Breakfast included
- On-site residence - less than a minute's travel time to school
Facilities and services available:
- Bed linen and towels provided on arrival, please bring your own beach towel
- TV, iron, ironing board, hairdryer, telephone and coffee machine in each room
- Microwave and mini-fridge in some rooms (microwave available in the cafeteria)
- Free WiFi available in most rooms
- Swimming pool
- Spa and fitness centre
- Coin laundry facilities available on-site
- Cleaning service 3 times a week; please note that outside of this service, students are responsible for cleaning their rooms
Prices & Dates 2019
Course start dates: Most courses start every Monday year-round (exceptions are outlined below.) On Bank Holiday Mondays, lessons start on Tuesdays.
Bank holidays and holidays (No lessons will take place on these dates and they will not be rescheduled or refunded): 01/01, 21/01, 27/05, 04/07, 02/09, 28 & 29/11, 23-27/12, 01/01/2020, 20/01/2020
Exam Prep Course Start Dates:
Cambridge FCE Courses:
- 6 weeks: 04/02-15/03 (exam on 13-15/03), 06/05-14/06 (exam on 11-14/06), 04/11-13/12 (exam on 12-14/12)
- 10 weeks: 07/01-15/03 (exam on 13-15/03), 08/04-14/06 (exam on 11-14/06); 07/10-13/12 (exam on 12-14/12)
Cambridge CAE Courses:
- 30/01, 24/04, 17/07, 30/10 (6 weeks - exams on 11/03, 03/06, 24/08, 09/12)
- 03/01, 27/03, 19/06, 02/10 (10 weeks - exams on 11/03, 03/06, 24/08, 09/12)
Cambridge CPE Courses:
- 6 weeks: 04/02-15/03 (exam on 13-16/03), 06/05-14/06 (exam on 12-14/06), 04/11-13/12 (exam on 12-14/12)
- 10 weeks: 07/01-15/03 (exam on 13-16/03), 08/04-14/06 (exam on 12-14/06); 07/10-13/12 (exam on 12-15/12)
(Exam dates are subject to change at the local centre's discretion. For more information, visit the Cambridge exam website
TOEFL : 04/02-15/03, 06/05-14/06, 03/09-11/10
Includes lessons, accommodation and meals as described, all taxes and enrolment feesApply
|Course & accommodation in a host family, shared room, half board OR residence, shared room, breakfast included|
|Cambridge Exam Preparation Courses - host family, shared room, half board|
|Optional extras - per week|
|Host family - single room||35|
|Residence - single room||140|
|Host family - private bathroom (single room)||65|
|Courses - peak season extra* (1-7 weeks)||20|
|Host family - peak season extra**||20|
|Residence, double room - peak season extra***||95|
|Residence, single room - peak season extra***||150|
|*Courses - peak season is from 24/06/19 to 23/08/19|
|**Host family - peak season is from 22/06/19 to 25/08/2019|
|***Residence - peak season is from 01/01/19 to 14/04/19 and from 09/12/19 to 14/04/20|
|Airport - accommodation||One-way journey||Round journey|
|From Fort Lauderdale Airport||40||70|
|From Miami Airport||95||160|
|Personal greeting - From Fort Laud. airport||105||210|
|Personal greeting - From Miami airport||160||300|
- Your chosen course
- Homestay accommodation, shared room and half board
- Course materials
- Limitless WiFi access
- Access to the e-learning platform up to 12 weeks after the course
- All taxes and enrolment fees
Prices do not include:
- Travel to/from Fort Lauderdale
- Airport transfers
- Lunch (if homestay), lunch and dinner (residence)
- Optional activities
- Exam fees, where applicable (Cambridge)
- Visa fees
- Optional insurance
Residence: Check-in: after 3:00 pm ; Check-out: before 12:00 noon
- Fort Lauderdale International - FLL or Miami International - MIA
Airport transfers available on request (fees apply, see price list)
Please note: Do not make travel arrangements until we have confirmed your enrolment in your chosen course.
You might need a visa for this course. For more information please visit our Visa Information page.
Do not hesitate to contact us by phone or email if you require any additional information.
Discover Fort Lauderdale!