Los Angeles / Santa Monica
The unique city of Los Angeles (also known as "L.A."), is the second largest city in the US next to New York. The 'City of Angels' has a booming cultural and arts scene, giving it a dynamic and individual identity. Not only is it the centre of the US' film and music industry, but it's also a huge business and trade quarter. This city really does have it all.
Discover the delicious cuisines along Ocean Avenue and stroll along to the farmer's market to fill your room with fresh flowers. If you're looking for entertainment, Venice beach has some of the city's best performers that crowds flock to go see, or go on a hike up to the Hollywood sign. Alive and buzzing with energy and activity 24 hours a day, it really is just like it is in the movies! As soon as the sun goes down, Santa Monica comes alive with its nightlife scene. Take your pick from restaurants, bars, live music venues & rooftop views from seaside pubs. It's safe to say you'll be spoilt for choice.
Sea, sand and sun are all part of the lifestyle - and its ideal location in the Sun Belt keeps the temperature warm all year round meaning that you can enjoy lounging in the sun and benefit from its 340 days of sunshine a year. From the white sand beaches to iconic boulevards and neighbourhoods like Beverly Hills, Hollywood, Sunset Boulevard & Melrose Avenue, LA is a dream come true. If you're looking to spice up your day with a bit of a thrilling adventure, the Six Flags Amusement Park and Disneyland are only a short drive away, as are Universal Studios Hollywood.
Santa Monica is known as the 'pearl of Los Angeles' and is without a doubt one of the most European areas in the country. Located right next to the ocean, the pier is one of the beach's many highlights. Dip your toes into the ocean and experience a culture unlike any other.
EC English Language Centres
EC Los Angeles is located just a few minutes' walk from the seafront and the spectacular beach of Santa Monica. The nearby Pier attracts the locals and tourists alike with its famous funfair that's held all year round. 3rd Street Promenade, Santa Monica's main shopping street, is just around the corner. What more could you ask for?
EC is accredited by ACCET and English USA.
School facilities include:
- Modern infrastructure
- 22 bright, spacious classrooms
- IT suite with 30 computers
- Free WiFi access throughout the centre
- Student Resource Centre
- Excellent library facilities
- Self-study room
VIP service - The Orange Carpet Experience
EC welcomes you with their orange carpet
- Before your arrival: access to the online platform of EC to prepare for your stay
- A warm welcome upon your arrival at the airport of station
- A warm welcome in the residence or in your host family
- A welcome activity on Sunday to meet the other students
- On the first day of course: a VIP reception at the school
- A presentation of all members of the EC team
Now you're ready to learn!
Activities and events during your stay
As an EC student, you will enjoy a calendar of various social and leisurely activities in the afternoons/evenings every week. These activities are optional and some may require a fee. All activities are subject to change and vary depending on the time of year. Activity planning can be viewed on the online EC platform.
Some of the many activities available include:
- Welcome Event
- Beach sports
- Cycle tour of Venice Beach
- Photo contest
- Tour of Los Angeles and Hollywood
- Universal Studios Hollywood, Six Flags Amusement Park and Disneyland
- Movie and restaurant nights
- Day trips to San Francisco, Las Vegas and San Diego
Courses on offer
General English: 20 lessons per week
4 lessons a day will give you a practical understanding of the English language and take you all the way to fluency. See your confidence improve as EC trains you in all four communication skills: speaking, listening, reading and writing.
Language level: all levels
Intensive English: 30 lessons per week
The ideal course to get your English where you want it to be, fast. Includes the above General English classes, and also allows you to personalise your course by taking an additional 10 lessons per week across a wide selection of electives (see the choices below).:
- Write Now
- Media Studies
- The Language of Music
- Film Studies
- Global Citizenship
- Comparative Culture & Communication
- Basic English Writing
- Academic Techniques in Practice (writing assignments, taking notes and preparing presentations)
- Get Talking
- And many more!
Language level: all levels
English in the City: 30 lessons per week
This Special Focus Programme combines 20 lessons of General English with 10 lessons focused on language study inspired by your destination, for a complete intensive experience that is tailored to you and your personal reasons for learning. Students enrolled in this course visit a number of fascinating locations, from stunning museums and inspiring galleries to successful local businesses and charming neighbourhoods all over the city.
Themed lessons include:
- Business English - Tours of Local Businesses
- Describing Art & Culture - Museum Tours
- Talk like a Local - Neighbourhood Visits
- The Language of Sports - Stadium Visits
Language level: all levels
English for Work: 30 lessons per week
EC's English for Work course will allow you to improve your English fluency and empower you with the language, knowledge and skills to confidently deal with a variety of business issues. Every week you will take 30 lessons: 20 lessons of General English and 10 lessons of Business English.
- Expressing personal opinions
- Making suggestions
- Presenting case studies
- Problem solving
Business Focus - 10 tailored lessons :
- Negotiating contracts
- Management and HR
- Branding and promotional strategies
- Project management
- Business ethics and CSR
Specific business techniques such as business English on the phone and interview skills are also covered.
Language level: Lower Intermediate to Advanced
Exam Preparation Courses
Cambridge ESOL: 30 lessons per week
Session length: 10 weeks with specific start dates (see "Prices and Dates").
Your teachers will guide and monitor you to make sure that you progress at the correct rate to succeed in your exam, giving you the specific vocabulary and grammar and study plan you need. Using sample exam papers you will learn how to effectively answer questions so by the time you take the test, you will know the style of questions to expect and how to answer them.
- FCE: Intermediate (10/12 weeks)
- CAE: Upper Intermediate (10/12 weeks)
TOEFL Exam Preparation: 30 lessons per week
Session length: 4 or 8 weeks
If you wish to attend university in an English-speaking country, preparing for the IELTS, TOEFL or TOEIC exam is the first step to success. EC teachers will meet with you individually to assess your language proficiency and goals. Sample papers will help you learn how to effectively answer questions and learn the techniques you need to sit the exam with confidence.
Language Level : Upper Intermediate
EC Teaching Methods
EC follows a 'Communicative Method' syllabus, which works to develop all four English language skills - reading, writing, speaking and listening. Special attention is paid to speaking, grammar, vocabulary and pronunciation.
To give an engaging and relevant framework to learning these skills, each lesson will focus on a specific topic, which will vary from current affairs to everyday issues. Your professional and friendly teachers will select topics that create interest, discussion and debate in the class, allowing you to develop your confidence both in speaking and listening throughout your stay, in a friendly and encouraging atmosphere.
The teaching materials EC uses are specially designed by the school and realia such as newspapers, videos and other materials is also used.
As well as taking an active part in classroom discussions - the best way to improve your fluency - you will work on your language skills in small groups, pairs or individually on tasks and projects. EC's teachers work to create a welcoming environment with mutual support among students - so you'll feel at home while your English improves!
Homestay (Ages 16+)
Single room, shared bathroom and breakfast.
Travel time to EC: Travel time to EC takes 30-60 minutes by public transport.
- Bedding and towel provided
- Laundry: Not all households in Los Angeles own a washing machine. Some of our host families may do their laundry at a nearby laundromat. Usually, host families with a washing machine at home will let you use it for your laundry.
- Half board
Shared apartment accommodation (ages 18+)
- 2 rooms and 2 bathrooms per apartment
- Single or shared room
- No meals included
- Located in the heart of Marina del Rey, a seaside community with a laid-back vibe and one of the largest man-made small boat harbors in the US
- Deposit to be paid on arrival (see Dates & Prices tab), to be refunded at the end of your stay provided no damages are incurred
Facilities and services
- Linens/towels provided
- Free WiFi access
- Fully-equipped shared kitchen
- Common room
- TV in each room
- Air conditioning
- 2 pools and 2 jacuzzis
- 24hr security
- Coin laundry facility on-site
- Weekly cleaning service; please note that outside of this service, students are responsible for cleaning their rooms
- Single room
- Air conditioning (5€ a day, to be paid on site)
- Private bathroom
Prices & Dates 2019
Course start dates: Most courses start every Monday year-round (exceptions are outlined below.) On Bank Holiday Mondays, lessons start on Tuesdays.
Bank holidays and holidays (No lessons will take place on these dates and they will not be rescheduled or refunded): 01/01, 21/01, 18/02, 29/03, 27/05, 04/07, 02/09, 14/10, 11/11, 28/11, 29/11, 25/12.
English for Work start dates: every Monday for up to 23 weeks
Exam Prep Course Dates:
- 18/03 - 07/06* (12 weeks - exam on 11/06)
- 01/07 - 23/08 (8 weeks - exam on 22/08) - Level required : Upper Intermediate
- 29/07 - 23/08 (4 weeks - exam on 22/08)
- 09/09 - 29/11* (12 weeks - exam on 03/12)
- 07/01 - 15/03 (10 weeks - exam on 16/03)
- 18/03 - 07/06* (12 weeks - exam on 12/06)
- 01/07 - 23/08 (8 weeks - exam on 23/08)
- 29/07 - 23/08 (4 weeks - exam on 23/08)
- 09/09 - 29/11* (12 weeks - exam on 04/12)
*An extra week of accommodation (without classes) must be reserved for this course
(Exam dates are subject to change at the local centre's discretion. For more information, visit the Cambridge exam website.)
TOEFL: starts every week, for 4 or 8 weeks. Exam dates are posted on the ETS website.
- Your chosen course
- Homestay or residence accommodation, breakfast
- Course materials
- Limitless WiFi access
- Activities and language workshops
- Welcome activity
- Access to the EC e-learning platform up to 12 weeks after the course
- All taxes and enrolment fees
Prices do not include:
- Travel to Los Angeles
- Airport transfers
- Optional extras
- Midday and evening meals (if homestay), all meals (if residence)
- Transportation in and around Los Angeles
- Optional activities
- Deposit on arrival, where applicable ($300)
- Exam fees, where applicable (Cambridge, IELTS, etc)
- Visa fees
- Optional insurance
Please note: a medical and assistance insurance is mandatory to enter the USA.
If residence accommodation: Check-in: 4:00 p.m. (Saturday); Check-out: 11 a.m. (Saturday)
Los Angeles International, LAX
Airport transfers available on request (fees apply, see price list)
Please note: Do not make travel arrangements until we have confirmed your enrolment in your chosen course.
You might need a visa for this course. For more information please visit our Visa Information page.
EU citizens do not require a visa for stays in the United States under 90 days. However, EU nationals do require an ESTA Travel Authorization.
Do not hesitate to contact us by phone or email if you require any additional information.