Malta is a spectacular island located in the crystal clear waters of the Mediterranean sea and is the perfect place to study English all year round. Its Mediterranean climate, gorgeous bays and tranquil villages make it a haven of serenity. Malta also boasts of a rich cultural history, bars, shops and restaurants galore along with a buzzing nightlife.
English is one of the two official languages on the island, due to two centuries of being under British rule. Malta's most-read paper is the English-language Malta Times, and the Maltese even drive on the left. If you're looking for sea, sand and sun as well as top-notch English lessons, Malta is the place for you!
EC English Language Centre
Our partner school, EC, is located in the heart of St Julian's, a charming tourist resort built around a small bay, just a short walk from the bus station. It's the perfect location to study English in a beautiful Mediterranean setting.
Accreditation: FELTOM and ISO 9001
School facilities include:
- 16 modern classrooms with SmartBoards
- On-site cafe
- Computers with Internet access
- Free WiFi access throughout the centre
- Excellent library facilities
- Study room
- Student lounge
- Rooftop terrace
- Exclusive gym pass at special rates
- Sliema Beach Club membership (summer only)
VIP service - The Orange Carpet Experience
EC welcomes you with their orange carpet
- Before your arrival: access to the online EC platform to prepare for your stay
- A warm welcome upon your arrival at the airport/station
- A warm welcome at the residence or host family
- A welcome activity on Sunday to get acquainted to the other students
- On the first day of lessons: a VIP reception at the school with presentation of all members of the EC team.
You´re now ready to learn!
Activities and events during your stay
As an EC student, you will enjoy a varied calendar of social and leisure activities every week, in the afternoon or during the evening. You are very welcome to participate in all of these activites, though attendance is not mandatory. Many of these activities are free of charge, but some may charge a fee. All activities are subject to change depending on the period of the year. Activity timetable can be consulted on the online EC platform.
Some of the many activities available include:
- Welcome Event and drink
- Restaurant outings
- Visits of museums and historical sites
- Yoga classes
- Local excursions
English language lessons: the basics
- Lesson length: 45 minutes
- Class size: average of 10 students (maximum 12), 6 for mini-group lessons
- Schedule: morning and/or afternoon lessons
- Placement test: first day of lessons
- Certificate of completion at the end of the stay
- Open access to the online EC platform up to 12 weeks after your stay
- Individual tutorate
- Personalised training plan
- Regular progress tests (oral test every week, written test every 6 weeks) based on the Oxford Online Placement test
Courses on offer
- Standard English: 20 lessons per week
4 lessons a day will give you a practical understanding of the English language and will help you on your way to fluency. See your confidence improve as EC trains you in all four communication skills: speaking, listening, reading and writing.
Language level: all levels (beginner to advanced)
- Intensive English: 30 lessons per week
The ideal course to get your English where you want it to be: progressing fast. Includes the above General English classes, and also allows you to personalise your course by taking an additional 10 lessons per week across a wide selection of electives (see the choices below).:
- Write Now
- Media Studies
- The Language of Music
- Film Studies
- Global Citizenship
- Comparative Culture & Communication
- Basic English Writing
- Academic Techniques in Practice (writing assignments, taking notes and preparing presentations)
- Get Talking... and many more!
Language level: all levels
- Business English: 30 lessons per week
Duration: 1 to 10 weeks
This programme offers 30 lessons per week: 20 lessons of General English combined with 10 lessons of Business English.
This course will empower you with the language, knowledge and skills to confidently deal with a variety of business issues.
- Expressing personal opinions - Making suggestions - Presenting case studies - Problem solving
Business Focus - 10 tailored lessons :
- Negotiating contracts - Management and HR - Branding and promotional strategies - Project management - Business ethics and CSR
Specific business techniques such as business English on the phone and interview skills are also covered.
Language level: Lower intermediate to advanced
EC Teaching Method
EC follows a 'Communicative Method' syllabus, which works to develop all four English language skills - reading, writing, speaking and listening. Special attention is paid to speaking, grammar, vocabulary and pronunciation.
To give an engaging and relevant framework to learning these skills, each lesson will focus on a specific topic, which will vary from current affairs to everyday issues. Your professional and friendly teachers will select topics that create interest, discussion and debate in the class, allowing you to develop your confidence both in speaking and listening throughout your stay, in a friendly and encouraging atmosphere.
The teaching materials EC uses are specially designed by the school and realia such as newspapers, videos and other materials is also used.
As well as taking an active part in classroom discussions - the best way to improve your fluency - you will work on your language skills in small groups, pairs or individually on tasks and projects. EC's teachers work to create a welcoming environment with mutual support among students - so you'll feel at home while your English improves!
Single room, shared bathroom and half board in a host family.
Travel time to EC: Our Malta host families live close to EC, which can be reached on foot or public transport (10 to 30 minutes approximatelly).
Possibility to share the same room for 2 people traveling together
- Bed linen/towels provided
- Laundry: your host family will let you use their laundry facilities once a week or let you know their laundry day
- Private bathroom
Flatshare accommodation is a great way to meet other EC students from all over the world.
- Single or shared room
- Shared bathroom
- Self-catering (no meals provided)
- Travel time to EC: approx. 5-30 minutes walk or by public transport
- Located in St Julian’s or Swieqi
- Security deposit (around €100) will be requested on arrival, to be refunded by EC at the end of your stay providing your room is clean and tidy with no damage incured.
Facilities and services
- Bed linen provided on arrival (bring your own bath towels)
- Fully equipped kitchen
- Coin laundry facilities available on-site
- Free WiFi access
- Common room
- Weekly cleaning of common areas and student rooms; please note that outside of this service, students are responsible for cleaning the kitchen and common areas
- Private bathroom
- Single room
- Air conditioning (€5 per day, to pay on site)
Prices & Dates 2020
Course start dates Most courses start every Monday year-round (apart from the exceptions indicated below.) On Bank Holiday Mondays, lessons will start on Tuesday.
Bank holidays and holidays (No lessons will take place on these dates and they will not be rescheduled nor refunded.) : 01/01, 10/02, 19/03, 31/03, 10/04, 01/05, 29/06, 08/09, 21/09, 08/12, 25/12.
Business English: every Monday for a period of up to 23 weeks.
Includes all taxes and enrolment feesBook now
|Lessons and flat-shared accommodation, shared room, self catering (no meals included)|
|Duration||20 lessons per week||30 lessons per week|
|Peak-season course extra|
|1 to 12 weeks course only||20|
|Accommodation extras (per week)|
|Accommodation type||Off-peak season||Peak season*|
|Host family, shared room, half board||30||75|
|Host family, individual room, half board||100||220|
|Shared flat, shared room, no meals||-||70|
|Shared flat, individual room, no meals||100||230|
|Special diet (vegan, halal, ...)||45||45|
|*Peak-season accommodation extra fee applies between 13/06 and 27/09|
|Transfer - Per trip|
|Malta International Airport (MLA)||25|
- The chosen course
- Accommodation in a shared apartment, shared room, self catering (no meals included)
- Teaching materials and books
- Unlimited Internet access
- Language activities and workshops
- The Welcome Event
- Access to the school's e-learning site up to 12 weeks after the end of the course
- All school taxes and administration fees
Prices do not include:
- Travel to/from Malta and transfers
- Half-board extra (for Homestay accommodation only)
- Transport on site
- Security deposit if applicable (to be paid on site)
- Optional insurances
Arrivals: Saturday or Sunday
Departures: Saturday or Sunday
- Arrival Airport: Malta International Airport (MLA)
Airport transfers available on request (fees apply, see Dates & Prices 2020 tab)
Please note: Do not make any travel arrangement until we have confirmed your enrolment on your chosen course.