Language programme in Miami
With 900 miles of beach, palm trees galore, and a chain of islands called The Keys, it’s not hard to see why Florida is known as the Sunshine State. The state is home to NASA headquarters at the Kennedy Space Centre, the magical Walt Disney World in Orlando and the Everglades National Park - and of course every water sport you could imagine!
Deemed the "glamour" capital of America, Miami is a multicultural mix of Latin America, the Caribbean, the USA, and Europe. It's also a major business hub in the USA and the top-ranked beach resort on the East Coast, with endless white sand beaches and crystal blue waters.
EC School of English
Our partner school, EC, is located in the heart of South Beach on the world-famous Lincoln Road, with lots of restaurants, cafés, bars and shops nearby. The best part? Miami Beach is just a few minutes' walk away!
EC is accredited by ACCET and English USA.
School facilities include:
- 14 bright, recently renovated classrooms
- IT suite with 13 computers
- Free WiFi access throughout the centre
- Student lounge to relax on your breaks
- Large TV screens
- Disabled access
VIP service - The Orange Carpet Experience
EC welcomes you with their orange carpet
- Before your arrival: access to the online platform of EC to prepare for your stay
- A warm welcome upon your arrival at the airport of station
- A warm welcome in the residence or in your host family
- A welcome activity on Sunday to meet the other students
- On the first day of course: a VIP reception at the school
- A presentation of all members of the EC team
Now you're ready to learn!
Activities and events during your stay
As an EC student, you will be able to participate in a variety of social and leisurely activities each week, either in the afternoon or the evening. You are very welcome to participate in these activities, though attendance is not mandatory. Many of these activities are free of charge, but some may charge a fee. All activities are subject to change and vary depending on the season.
Some of the many activities available include:
- Welcome Activity
- Museum outings
- Beach sports and BBQ
- Restaurant and movie nights
- Boat cruises around Miami and the Everglades
- Excursion to the Florida Keys
English language courses: the basics
- Lesson length: 45 minutes
- Class size: Average 12 students (maximum 15)
- Schedule: morning and/or afternoon lessons
- Placement test: first day of lessons
- Certificate of completion at the end of your stay
- Open access to the EC e-learning site up to 12 weeks after your stay
- Regular progress tests (oral test every week, written test every 6 weeks)
- CELTA-qualified native English teachers
Courses on offer
General English: 20 lessons per week
4 lessons a day will give you a practical understanding of the English language and take you all the way to fluency. See your confidence improve as EC trains you in all four communication skills: speaking, listening, reading and writing.
Language level: all levels
Intensive English: 30 lessons per week
The ideal course to get your English where you want it to be, fast. Includes the above General English classes, and also allows you to personalise your course by taking an additional 10 lessons per week across a wide selection of electives (see the choices below).:
- Write Now
- Media Studies
- The Language of Music
- Film Studies
- Global Citizenship
- Comparative Culture & Communication
- Basic English Writing
- Academic Techniques in Practice (writing assignments, taking notes and preparing presentations)
- Get Talking
- And many more!
Language level: all levels
English for Work: 30 lessons per week
EC's English for Work course will allow you to improve your English fluency and empower you with the language, knowledge and skills to confidently deal with a variety of business issues. Every week you will take 30 lessons: 20 lessons of General English and 10 lessons of Business English.
- Expressing personal opinions
- Making suggestions
- Presenting case studies
- Problem solving
Business Focus - 10 tailored lessons :
- Negotiating contracts
- Management and HR
- Branding and promotional strategies
- Project management
- Business ethics and CSR
Specific business techniques such as business English on the phone and interview skills are also covered.
Language level: Lower Intermediate to Advanced
Exam Preparation Courses
- Cambridge ESOL: 30 lessons per week
Session length: 8 weeks at specific start dates (see "Prices & Dates").
- Cambridge ESOL: 30 lessons per week
Your teachers will guide and monitor you to make sure that you progress at the correct rate to succeed in your exam, giving you the specific vocabulary and grammar and study plan you need. Using sample exam papers you will learn how to effectively answer questions so by the time you take the test, you will know the style of questions to expect and how to answer them.
Minimum Language levels:
- FCE: Intermediate (9/12 weeks), Pre Advanced (8 weeks)
- CAE: Pre Advanced (8/12 weeks)
EC Teaching Methods
EC follows a 'Communicative Method' syllabus, which works to develop all four English language skills - reading, writing, speaking and listening. Special attention is paid to speaking, grammar, vocabulary and pronunciation.
To give an engaging and relevant framework to learning these skills, each lesson will focus on a specific topic, which will vary from current affairs to everyday issues. Your professional and friendly teachers will select topics that create interest, discussion and debate in the class, allowing you to develop your confidence both in speaking and listening throughout your stay, in a friendly and encouraging atmosphere.
The teaching materials EC uses are specially designed by the school and realia such as newspapers, videos and other materials is also used.
As well as taking an active part in classroom discussions - the best way to improve your fluency - you will work on your language skills in small groups, pairs or individually on tasks and projects. EC's teachers work to create a welcoming environment with mutual support among students - so you'll feel at home while your English improves!
Homestay (Ages 16+)
Single room, shared bathroom and breakfast.
Students travelling together may opt for a shared room in their homestay.
Travel time to EC: Travel time to EC usually takes 30-60 minutes by public transport.
- Bed linen and towels provided
- Laundry: your host family will let you use their laundry facilities once a week or let you know their laundry day
Optional Extra: - Half board
The Loft Studios Apartments
The Loft Studios Apartments are located in trendy South Beach, just a 5-minute walk to the beach and the restaurants and cafes on Ocean Drive.
- Single or shared room
- No meals included
- 25 minutes' travel time to EC on foot
- Located in Miami Beach, a few minutes' walk from the beach
- Deposit to be paid on arrival, to be refunded at the end of your stay provided no damages are incurred (fees apply, see Dates & Prices tab)
Facilities and services
- Bed linen and towels provided on arrival, please bring your own beach towel
- Fully-equipped kitchenette
- Iron and ironing board, hairdryer
- Coin laundry facilities available on-site
- Free WiFi access
- Studios are cleaned once a week
Prices & Dates 2019
Course start dates: Most courses start every Monday year-round (exceptions are outlined below.) On Bank Holiday Mondays, lessons start on Tuesdays.
Bank holidays (No lessons will take place on these dates and they will not be rescheduled or refunded): 01/01, 21/01, 18/02, 27/05, 04/07, 02/09, 14/10, 11/11, 28/11, 29/11, 25/12.
English for Work start dates: every Monday for up to 23 weeks.
Exam Prep Course Dates:
- 07/01-15/03 (10 weeks - exam on 15/03)
- 18/03-07/06 (12 weeks - exam on 11/06)*
- 23/09-13/12 (12 weeks - exam on 14/12)
- 18/03-07/06 (12 weeks - exam on 12/06)*
- 23/09-13/12 (12 weeks - exam on 14/12)
*An extra week of accommodation (without classes) has to be booked for these courses
(Exam dates are subject to change at the local centre's discretion. For more information, visit the Cambridge exam website
All taxes and enrolment fees includedApply
|Lessons & accommodation in a host family, single room, breakfast included|
|Duration||20L||30L or Business|
|2 weeks||$ 1,720||$ 1,930|
|3 weeks||$ 2,455||$ 2,770|
|4 weeks||$ 3,190||$ 3,610|
|6 weeks||$ 4,660||$ 5,290|
|8 weeks||$ 6,130||$ 6,970|
|12 weeks||$ 8,830||$ 9,790|
|16 weeks||$ 11,690||$ 12,970|
|18 weeks||$ 13,120||$ 14,560|
|20 weeks||$ 14,550||$ 16,150|
|24 weeks||$ 17,290||$ 18,150|
|32 weeks||$ 22,970||$ 24,250|
|36 weeks||$ 25,810||$ 27,250|
|Extra week||-||$ 755|
|Exam preparation & accommodation in a host family, single room, breakfast included|
|11 weeks||$ 9,545|
|12 weeks||$ 9,790|
|Accommodation extra (per week)|
|Family, single room, half board||$ 95|
|Shared flat, single room||$ 220|
|Peak-season extras (07/1-29/3 & 01/7-23/8)|
|Course (from 1 to 12 week(s) only)||$ 20|
|Host family, single room, breakfast included||$ 15|
|Host family, single room, half board||$ 25|
|Shared flat, individual room||$ 60|
|From Miami airport||$ 135|
|From Fort Lauderdale airport||$ 180|
|Arrival transfer between 00:00 and 07.00||$ 25|
* Round-trip transfer mandatory for under 18s.
- Your chosen course
- Accommodation (according to chosen option)
- Single room & breakfast for Homestay only
- Course materials
- Unlimited WiFi access
- Activities and language workshops
- Welcome activity
- Access to the EC e-learning platform up to 12 weeks after course end
- All taxes and enrolment fees
Prices do not include:
- Travel to and from Miami
- Airport transfers
- Optional extras
- Lunch and dinner (if homestay), all meals (studio apartments)
- Transportation in and around Miami
- Optional activities
- Apartment deposit on arrival (USD 300), when applicable
- Exam fees, where applicable (Cambridge)
- Visa fees
- Optional insurances
For apartment accommodation only:
- Check-in: after 3 pm
- Check-out: before 10 am
- Miami International, MIA
Airport transfers available on request (fees apply, see Dates & Prices tab)
Please note: Do not make travel arrangements until we have confirmed your enrolment in your chosen course.
You might need a visa for this course. For more information please visit our Visa Information page.
EU citizens do not require a visa for stays in the United States under 90 days. However, EU nationals do require an ESTA Travel Authorization.
Do not hesitate to contact us by phone or email if you require any additional information.