English language programme in Perth
Perth is Western Australia's dynamic capital and undoubtedly one of the friendliest and safest cities in the southern hemisphere. Located right where the Swan river meets the southwest coast, this stunning city has everything to offer students. As the sunniest city in the country with an average of 8 hours of sunlight every day, the beautiful surroundings are just a small part of Perth's charming personality. Soak up the vitamin D while benefiting from warm temperatures all year round - meaning you can enjoy the beach, countryside and numerous water sports no matter what season it is!
Being more affordable than Melbourne or Sydney, you'll be able to enjoy a mutltitude of different activities without breaking the bank. Getting around using public transport is next to nothing - meaning you can explore the whole city on a low budget.
The Swan river runs right through the centre of town, and is over 20km long. The surrounding area are also worth visiting, as you can easy reach the Great Barrier Reefs, the Ningaloo Reef, Monkey Mia and the many dolphins that swim there, the Margaret River and its famous vineyards, the Pinnacles etc. The fine sandy beaches, huge open spaces and the Australian outback's endless horizon are an absolute treat for those who love nature.
You'll have an incredible and unforgettable experience in Perth - guaranteed!
PICE English school
Our partner school 'PICE' is housed on 2 floors of a modern building right in the centre of the city. Just a few blocks away from the station and numerous public transport stops, it's easily accessible and in an ideal location. With restaurants, cafes, shops, museums, parks and the breathtaking banks of the Swan River within walking distance, you definitely won't run out of things to do. The Northbridge area is also very close by, which has pubs, bars, clubs and restaurants. You will have more than enough options during the day and in the evening to experience the local's way of life in such a vibrant and charming city.
The school has a student association that takes care of students when they aren't attending lessons. The school can hold up to 200 students with over 30 nationalities, making your time at school a multicultural and international experience.
Accreditations: NEAS, English Australia, Study Perth and WAPETIA
School facilities include:
- 20 bright and air conditioned classrooms
- An educational ressource centre, fully equipped with a listening lab, reference material, books, newspapers and magazines
- An IT room with 15 computers
- A lounge area with microwaves, a fridge and vending machines
Activities and events during your stay
The school has a varied activity programme that includes a different activity every Friday afternoon made to suit everyone's budget as well as excursions every weekend. The students are accompanied to all the activities by a teacher or a member of the school staff. Your teacher organises a dinner every 15 days for you. Planning for these activities takes place every month.
Some of the many activities available include:
- Catamaran ride on the river
- Beach volleyball
- Aboriginal cultural tour
- Cultural visits: museums and galleries
- Weekend excursions: Rottnest island, Monkey Mia dolphins, sunsets over the Pinnacles, boat ride on the river and visits to the vinyards, Wildlife parks, visits to Albany, tree top walk etc.
English language courses: the basics
- Lesson length: 60 minutes
- Maximum number of students per class: 15
- Timetable: classes are held in the morning and/or the afternoon
- Placement test: Monday morning
- Certificate of participation at the end of your stay
- Teachers are qualified to teach English as a foreign language
Standard course: 15 hours of general English per week
Duration: between 4 and 12 weeks
This programme is designed for those who wish to improve their skills in the four fundamental learning blocks of any language: reading, writing, listening and speaking.
Language level: elementary to advanced
Intensive course: 25 hours of general English per week
Minimum 2 week session
This programme includes 21 general English lessons and 4 hours of activities per week, held on Friday afternoons. You will have general English classes in the morning and afternoon classes in small groups from one of the following:
- Business English
- English for University education
- Vocabulary/Oral comprehension/Conversation
Language level: elementary to advanced
Cambridge exam preparation courses (FCE & CAE)
Duration: 10 or 12 weeks
These classes are designed for those wishing to thoroughly prepare themselves for the FCE or CAE exams. The classes focus heavily on syntax and grammar, the development of vocabulary and written & oral expression. The course will also prepare you for the techniques required to pass the exam.
Language level required: upper intermediate (FCE) and advanced (CAE)
Single room, shared bathroom, half board during the week, full board at the weekend
Australian families are known for their warm and welcoming attitude towards students they host.
Distance from school: the majority of families are located around 45 minutes away by public transport. Perth has an easy-to-use and inexpensive public transport system. The school’s student card entitles students who study for 6 weeks or more to buy a student ticket, which is a 45% discount from a regular adult fare.
- Bed linen and towels provided
Youth hostel (on request - ages 18+)
The school can also book students into the youth hostel 'Townsend Lodge', which is about 15 minutes away from PICE. This option is ideal for students who are looking for a bit more independence, and are offered for a very reasonabe price. The hostel has single rooms but the bathrooms, toilets and kitchens are shared. This option is self-catered.
Please contact us for prices
Demi-pair option (ages 18+)
Being a demi-pair is a perfect option for students who are looking to save money while benefiting from free accommodation and full board in exchange for 15 hours per week. You'll be working for the family for 3 hours a day x 5 days every week. The contract is made between the student and the family. Working hours are spread out over a number of different cleaning tasks (eg. cleaning, washing, ironing, meal preparation etc.) and child-minding (waking them up, getting them dressed, taking them to school, collecting them, giving them a bath, giving them their meals etc.).
Conditions of participation:
- Young female aged between 18 - 31
- Minimum level of English required: pre-intermediate
- To be taking the Standard or Intensive English course for a minimum duration of 12 weeks
- Register at least 2 months before departure
- Skype interview to evaluate your level of English and reasons for applying
- File to complete
Dates & Prices 2019
Course start dates: Most courses start every Monday year-round (exceptions are outlined below.) On Bank Holiday Mondays, lessons start on Tuesdays.
Bank holidays and holidays: 01/01, 28/01, 04/03, 19/04, 22/04, 25/04, 03/06, 30/09; 20/12-01/01/2020
Session start dates for Cambridge preparation courses (FCE/CAE):
- 7th of January - 15th of March (10 week session)
- 18th of March - 7th of June (12 week session)
- 9th of September - 29th of November (12 week session)
- FCE: 15th of March, 11th of June & 3rd of December
- CAE: 16th of March, 12th of June & 4th of Decemner
Includes course, accommodation, meals as described, all taxes and enrolment feesApply
|Course & accommodation in a host family, single room, half board|
|Duration||15 H||25 H||FCE / CAE|
|2 weeks||-||A$ 1,660||-|
|3 weeks||-||A$ 2,260||-|
|4 weeks||A$ 2,590||A$ 2,830||-|
|6 weeks||A$ 3,685||A$ 4,045||-|
|8 weeks||A$ 4,780||A$ 5,260||-|
|10 weeks||-||-||A$ 6,500|
|12 weeks||A$ 6,940||A$ 7,660||A$ 8,625|
|16 weeks||-||A$ 9,745||-|
|18 weeks||-||A$ 10,895||-|
|20 weeks||-||A$ 12,000||-|
|24 weeks||-||A$ 14,320||-|
|32 weeks||-||A$ 18,960||-|
|36 weeks||-||A$ 21,280||-|
|Extra week||-||A$ 585||-|
|Airport transfer (per journey)||A$ 120|
|Host family for under 18s||A$ 35|
|Cambridge exam fees (to be paid on site)||A$ 545|
|Demi-pair placement||A$ 845|
- Chosen programme
- Accommodation in a single room with host family
- Half-board during the week and full-board at the weekend
- Access to all school facilities
- All administrative and booking fees
- Placement test and certificate of participation
Prices do not include:
- Travel to/from Perth
- Airport transfers
- Local transportation
- Lunchtime meals during the week
- Course books, to be bought on site (they are re-sold at the end of the programme)
- Exam fees, if applicable (Cambridge)
- Visa fees (for stays longer than 12 weeks)
- Optional insurance
- OSHC obligatory medical insurance (for stays longer than 12 weeks)
- Perth International (PER)
Airport transfers available on request (for a fee, please see 'Dates & Prices' tab)
Please note: do not make travel arrangements until we have confirmed your enrolment in your chosen course (about 4 days after deposit payment.
Do you need a Visa for this programme? For more information please consult our page Visa Information.
Do not hesitate to contact us by telephone or email if you require any further information.