Prepare to be swept up in the multicultural energy of Canada's biggest city! With 2.5 million inhabitants, 170 ethnic groups, 140 languages and dialects, and cuisine from almost every nation on earth, Toronto will amaze and surprise you in every way possible. Located northwest of Lake Ontario, Toronto offers a mix of big-city thrills and peaceful streets with a neighbourhood feel.
The city has a thriving arts scene, with everything from showcase museums to pop-up galleries. In the heart of the city, CF Toronto Eaton Centre has over 320 shops and restaurants. Gourmets will savour the endless varieties of cuisine on offer, from Nepalese to Italian to Ethiopian. With numerous parks and green spaces, including the second largest park in the world High Park, offer an area of relaxation to city residents and visitors. The breathtaking Niagara Falls are just an hour and a half away for those who want to get lost in the natural surroundings Canada has to offer. Whether you're attracted to its cultural diversity or the more tranquil Sunday strolls and the city's natural surroundings, Toronto has something for everyone.
EC English Language Centres
Our partner school, EC Language Centre, offers modern, newly refurbished facilities. The centre is located in the trendy Midtown area with a metro stop just outside.
EC is accredited by Languages Canada, ALTO and TESL Canada.
School facilities include:
- 30 bright, spacious classrooms
- SmartBoards in each classroom
- On-site cafe with a wide selection of meals, snacks and drinks
- IT suite with 45 computers
- Free WiFi access throughout the centre
- Student Resource Centre
- Excellent library facilities
- Study Room
- Wheelchair accessible (can make arrangements for visually impaired students)
VIP service - The Orange Carpet Experience
EC welcomes you with their orange carpet
- Before your arrival: access to the online platform of EC to prepare for your stay
- A warm welcome upon your arrival at the airport of station
- A warm welcome in the residence or in your host family
- A welcome activity on Sunday to meet the other students
- On the first day of course: a VIP reception at the school
- A presentation of all members of the EC team
You´re ready to learn!
Activities and events during your stay
As an EC student, you will enjoy a varied calendar of social and leisure activities every week, in the afternoon or during the evening. Attendance is optional. Many of these activities are free of charge, however, some may require a fee. All activities are subject to change without notice and may be offered seasonally. The planning can be seen on the online EC platform.
Some of the many activities available include:
- Welcome Event
- Guided tour of Toronto city centre (CN Tower, Ripley Aquarium, Ontario Science Centre)
- Visit to the Steam Whistle Brewery
- Baseball, American football stadium outing
- Karaoke night
- Excursions to Niagara Falls, Montreal, Chicago, New York, Washington
English language courses: the basics
- Lesson length: 45 minutes
- Class size: Average 13 students (maximum 15)
- Schedule: morning and/or afternoon lessons
- Placement test: first day of lessons
- Certificate of completion at the end of your stay
- Open access to the online EC platform up to 12 weeks after your stay
- Regular progress tests (oral test every week, written test every 6 weeks)
- CELTA-qualified native English teachers
Courses on offer
General English: 20 lessons per week
4 lessons a day will give you a practical understanding of the English language and take you all the way to fluency. See your confidence improve as EC trains you in all four communication skills: speaking, listening, reading and writing.
Language level: all levels
Intensive English: 30 lessons per week
The ideal course to get your English where you want it to be, fast. Includes the above General English classes, and also allows you to personalise your course by taking an additional 10 lessons per week across a wide selection of electives (see the choices below).:
- Write Now
- Media Studies
- The Language of Music
- Film Studies
- Global Citizenship
- Comparative Culture & Communication
- Basic English Writing
- Academic Techniques in Practice (writing assignments, taking notes and preparing presentations)
- Get Talking
- And many more!
Language level: all levels
English in the City: 30 lessons per week
This Special Focus Programme combines 20 lessons of General English with 10 lessons focused on language study inspired by your destination, for a complete intensive experience that is tailored to you and your personal reasons for learning. Students enrolled in this course visit a number of fascinating locations, from stunning museums and inspiring galleries to successful local businesses and charming neighbourhoods all over the city.
Themed lessons include:
- Business English - Tours of Local Businesses
- Describing Art & Culture - Museum Tours
- Talk like a Local - Neighbourhood Visits
- The Language of Sports - Stadium Visits
Language level: all levels
English for Work: 30 lessons per week
EC's English for Work course will allow you to improve your English fluency and empower you with the language, knowledge and skills to confidently deal with a variety of business issues. Every week you will take 30 lessons: 20 lessons of General English and 10 lessons of Business English.
- Expressing personal opinions
- Making suggestions
- Presenting case studies
- Problem solving
Business Focus - 10 tailored lessons :
- Negotiating contracts
- Management and HR
- Branding and promotional strategies
- Project management
- Business ethics and CSR
Specific business techniques such as business English on the phone and interview skills are also covered.
Language level: Lower Intermediate to Advanced
Exam Preparation Courses
Cambridge ESOL: 30 lessons per week
Session length: 8 weeks with specific start dates (see "Prices and Dates").
Your teachers will guide and monitor you to make sure that you progress at the correct rate to succeed in your exam, giving you the specific vocabulary and grammar and study plan you need. Using sample exam papers you will learn how to effectively answer questions so by the time you take the test, you will know the style of questions to expect and how to answer them.
- FCE: Upper intermediate (8 weeks), Intermediate (12 weeks)
- CAE: Upper intermediate (12 weeks)
Higher Score IELTS, TOEFL and TOEIC Exam Preparation: 20 lessons per week
Session length: 2 to 12 weeks
Recommended session duration: 6 - 12 weeks
If you wish to attend university in an English-speaking country, preparing for the IELTS, TOEFL or TOEIC exam is the first step to success. This programme is deisgned to help you obtain the best score possible. It is therefore necessary to have a ver good level of English.
Language Level : Upper intermediate
EC Teaching Methods
EC follows a 'Communicative Method' syllabus, which works to develop all four English language skills - reading, writing, speaking and listening. Special attention is paid to speaking, grammar, vocabulary and pronunciation.
To give an engaging and relevant framework to learning these skills, each lesson will focus on a specific topic, which will vary from current affairs to everyday issues. Your professional and friendly teachers will select topics that create interest, discussion and debate in the class, allowing you to develop your confidence both in speaking and listening throughout your stay, in a friendly and encouraging atmosphere.
The teaching materials EC uses are specially designed by the school and realia such as newspapers, videos and other materials is also used.
As well as taking an active part in classroom discussions - the best way to improve your fluency - you will work on your language skills in small groups, pairs or individually on tasks and projects. EC's teachers work to create a welcoming environment with mutual support among students - so you'll feel at home while your English improves!
Single room, shared bathroom and half board.
Students travelling together can opt for a shared room in their homestay.
Travel time to EC: Travel time to EC usually takes 45-60 minutes (maximum 60 minutes) by public transport. Toronto's public transport system is excellent and all our host families live near a metro or bus stop.
- Bed linen provided
- Laundry: your host family will let you use their laundry facilities once a week or let you know their laundry day
Superior Parkside Residence
- Single bedroom
- Shared bathroom
- Full board (except between May 1 and August 31: only breakfast included)
- Travel time to the school: 25 minutes by public transport
- Location: in the heart of Toronto University campus
Facilities / Services available:
- Bed linen provided
- Wifi connection available
- Common area with armchairs and large TV
- Equipped communal kitchen on each floor
- Laundromat available 24H / 24 (paid)
- Fitness centre (open 7 am - 11 pm, ages 16+)
- Cafeteria in the building
- Weekly cleaning of common areas. Students are responsible for cleaning their rooms (cleaning tools are available at the reception).
Chestnut Residence (summer only, from May 4 to August 17, 2019 - minimum of 2 weeks stay)
This former 4-star hotel is ideally located in Toronto city centre two blocks from the Eaton Centre and a 5-minute walk from the CN tower.
- Single or shared room
- Private bathroom
- Breakfast included
- 20 minutes' travel time to EC by public transport
- Located in the heart of Toronto
Facilities and services
- Bed linen provided
- Microwave and refrigerator on each floor
- Coin laundry facilities available on-site
- Wired connection available
- Shared common room with armchairs and large-screen TV on the main floor
- Gym (open 7 a.m.-11 a.m.)
- Weekly cleaning service
- Wheelchair accessible
Prices & Dates 2019
Course start dates
Most courses start every Monday year-round (exceptions are outlined below.) On Bank Holiday Mondays, lessons start on Tuesdays.
Bank holidays and holidays (No lessons will take place on these dates and they will not be rescheduled or refunded): 01/01, 18/02, 19/04, 20/05, 01/07, 05/08, 02/09, 14/10, 11/11, 25 & 26/12.
Business English start dates: every Monday for a duration of up to 23 weeks
Exam Prep Course Dates:
- 18/03 - 07/06 (12 weeks - Exam on 11/06)
- 15/04 - 07/06 (8 weeks - Exam on 11/06)
- 09/09 - 29/11 (12 weeks - Exam on 03/12)
- 07/10 - 29/11 (8 weeks - Exam on 03/12)
- 18/03 - 07/06 (12 weeks - Exam on 12/06)
- 15/04 - 07/06 (8 weeks - Exam on 12/06)
- 09/09 - 29/11 (12 weeks - Exam on 04/12)
- 07/10 - 29/11 (8 weeks - Exam on 04/12)
(Exam dates are subject to change at the local centre's discretion. For more information, visit the Cambridge exam website.)
Includes all taxes and enrolment feesApply
|Prices - lessons and accomodation, Host family, single room, half board|
|Duration||20 leçons||30 lessons or Business ou English in the city|
|2 weeks||C$ 1,570||C$ 1,710|
|3 weeks||C$ 2,135||C$ 2,390|
|4 weeks||C$ 2,730||C$ 3,070|
|6 weeks||C$ 3,920||C$ 4,430|
|8 weeks||C$ 5,030||C$ 5,790|
|12 weeks||C$ 7,490||C$ 8,330|
|16 weeks||C$ 9,870||C$ 10,990|
|18 weeks||C$ 11,060||C$ 12,320|
|20 weeks||C$ 12,250||C$ 13,650|
|24 weeks||C$ 14,390||C$ 15,950|
|32 weeks||-||C$ 21,150|
|36 weeks||-||C$ 23,750|
|Exam preparation + Host family accomodation, single room, half board|
|Duration||Cambridge (30L)||TOEFL/IELTS (20L)|
|2 weeks||-||C$ 1,570|
|4 weeks||-||C$ 2,730|
|6 weeks||-||C$ 3,920|
|8 weeks||C$ 5,790||C$ 5,030|
|12 weeks||C$ 8,330||C$ 7,490|
|Extras (per week)|
|Residence Chestnut, shared room||C$ 20|
|Residence Chestnut, single room||C$ 170|
|Residence Superior Parkside||C$ 265|
|Peak-season course - 17/06-13/09 (-12 weeks)||C$ 45|
|Peak-season homestay - 15/06 - 14/09||C$ 30|
|Private lessons (2 lessons) (per week)||C$ 180|
|Transfer - Per journey|
|From Toronto airport (YYZ)||C$ 130|
* Round-trip transfer mandatory for under 18s.
- Your chosen course
- Homestay accommodation, single room, half board
- Limitless WiFi access
- Activities and language workshops
- Welcome activity
- Access to the EC e-learning platform up to 12 weeks after the course
- All taxes and enrolment fees
Prices do not include:
- Travel to/from Toronto
- Airport transfers
- Residence accommodation
- Midday meals (if homestay), all meals (if residence)
- Transportation in and around Toronto
- Optional activities
- Exam fees, where applicable (Cambridge, IELTS, etc)
- Visa fees
- Optional insurance
If staying in a residence or in a shared flat: Check-in : 3 pm ; Check-out : 11 am
Toronto International, YYZ
Airport transfers available on request (fees apply, see price list)
Please note: Do not make travel arrangements until we have confirmed your enrolment in your chosen course.
You might need a visa for this course. For more information please visit our Visa Information page.
Do not hesitate to contact us by phone or email if you require any additional information.
Discover EC Toronto!