Language programme in Lyon
Immerse yourself in French culture in one of France's foremost student towns. Behind its grand Renaissance façades and hôtels particuliers, away from the well-to-do Presqu'île where the city centre nestles between the Rhône and Saône rivers, Lyon's old town and traboules – covered passageways that in days of old sheltered the silk spinners' precious wares as they ferried them to the merchants downhill – bustle with shops, bars and restaurants galore. This is France's true Mecca of cuisine, embodied in the hearty fare of Lyon's traditional bouchons, mom-and-pop outfits where robust plates of special local cold cuts, dumplings and deep-fried bugnes await the hungry traveler.
Lyon was UNESCO-listed in 1998 for its stunning architectural heritage, encompassing a Roman theatre, huge pedestrian squares and beautiful churches – perfect for a walk after sampling the local delicacies. The city is also a hub for the arts, with concerts, exhibitions and other cultural happenings on every night of the week, for a true experience of la vie française. Big enough for a city feel, small enough that it still has heart: no wonder Lyon is a top destination for the French.
Lyon Bleu School
Lyon Bleu International has been providing quality French as a Foreign Language courses since 1999. The school is located in the city centre, nestled between the old town and the Central Business District, with plenty of public transport options and a warm, trendy and lively atmosphere.
Accreditations: FLE Quality Label; FLE Group member, IALC member, Campus France member, certified by CSN (Swedish government) and Germany's Bildungsurlaub. Also officially recognized as a quality-assured French language school by the French Ministry of Education.
School facilities include:
- 14 classrooms
- IT suite
- "Chill out" area with hot & cold drinks vending machines
- Free WiFi access
Activities and events during your stay
You will enjoy a varied calendar of social and leisure activities every week, in the afternoon or during the evening. Attendance is optional. Many of these activities are free of charge, however, some may charge a fee. All activities are subject to change without notice and may be offered seasonally.
Some of the many activities available include:
- Art and culture: guided tour of Lyon, plays, museum outings, art exhibitions, concerts
- Sports: cycling, swimming, ice skating
- Lyon like a local: cinema outings, clubs, restaurants, cafes, bars, wine tasting
- Theme nights for students to show off their French skills
French language lessons: the basics
- Lesson length: 45 minutes
- Class size: average 7-9 students (12 maximum, 3 minimum)
- Schedule: morning and/or afternoon lessons according to different levels
- Placement test: on-line written test before departure, oral assessment test on the first day of lessons
- Weekly progress tests
- Certificate of completion at the end of the stay
- Free tutoring, subject to availability
- Qualified native French teachers
Courses on offer
Semi-Intensive Course: 15 general French lessons per week Minimum stay: 1 week (2 weeks recommended)
3 French lessons per day (Monday-Friday) will give you a practical understanding of the French language and take you all the way to fluency. See your confidence improve as our partner school trains you in all four communication skills: speaking, listening, reading and writing.
Language level: Beginner to Advanced. Please note this course is not suitable for Complete beginners.
Intensive Course: 25 general French lessons per week Minimum stay: 1 week (2 weeks for complete beginners) Includes 5 French lessons per day, Monday-Friday. Lessons are interactive and focused on practical, hands-on activities.
Language level: A1-C1. Complete beginners must book at least 2 weeks. You will then be able to continue with the Intensive course or switch to another course as preferred.
Combo Course: 15 or 25 group lessons per week + 5 or 10 private lessons
Minimum stay: 1 week
Maximum stay: 6 weeks
This programme is very flexible and ideal for students seeking fast results. It includes 15 or 25 group lessons, and allows you to personalise your course by taking an additional 5 or 10 private lessons tailored to your personal language needs.
- Semi-Intensive Combo 1 : 15 group lessons + 5 private lessons
- Semi-Intensive Combo 2 : 15 group lessons + 10 private lessons
- Intensive Combo 1 : 25 group lessons + 5 private lessons
- Intensive Combo 2 : 25 group lessons + 10 private lessons
Language level: A1-C1. Please note this course is not suitable for complete beginners.
French & Culture: 15 general French lessons per week + cultural activities Maximum stay: 2 weeks
This programme includes the Semi-Intensive Course and an activity programme in and around Lyon that celebrates French culture and Lyon's cultural heritage. General French lessons are held in the morning and the activities take place in the afternoon. This course is held at specific dates (see the Dates & Prices 2019 tab). Particularly recommended for students 50 and up.
Required language Level: lower-intermediate and up
French & Cooking: 15 general French lessons per week + cookery activities Maximum stay: 2 weeks
This course includes the Semi-Intensive course and cooking- and cuisine-focused activities designed to get you acquainted with traditional French cooking and Lyon's world-famous cuisine. You will have the chance to try out some of the local recipes as well as sampling local fare and watching local chefs and artisans at work. General French lessons are held in the morning and the activities take place in the afternoon. This course is held at specific dates (see the Dates & Prices 2019 tab).
Language Level: lower-intermediate and up
Single room, shared bathroom, kitchen access (details to be arranged with your host family.)
Host Family Criteria: Host families sign our partner school's Charter of Commitment, guaranteeing quality stays and services.
Travel time to our partner school: Our partner school's carefully selected host families usually live in residential areas near the school, accessible on foot or by bus.
- Half board (breakfast and dinner)
- Linens/towels provided
- Laundry: use of the family laundry facilities once a week
This is a great option for students looking for a bit more independence. Our partner school works with hotel residences that rotate depending on availability and length of stay.
- Single occupancy or for 2-persons travelling and applying together furnished studios
- Private kitchen
- Private bathroom
- Travel time to school: approx. 10-15 minutes by public transport, 15-30 minutes walk, depending on the residence
- Located near our partner schools
- Deposit to be paid on arrival for stays exceeding 3 weeks (€450 for stays between 3 and 12 weeks, €650 for stays exceeding 12 weeks). It is refundable by the school at the end of the stay if no damage is observed. For long stays (13 weeks and up), a mandatory home insurance fee of €70 is due (cash payments only to be paid on arrival.)
Facilities and services
- Linens/towels provided
- Crockery and cutlery
- Internet and TV included
- Breakfast (on request, to be paid upfront.)
Prices & Dates 2020
Course start dates: Most courses start every Monday, year-round (see exceptions below).
Intensive Course start dates for complete beginners (intensive courses) : 06/01, 17/02, 02/03, 20/04, 04/05, 15/06, 06/07, 17/08, 31/08, 12/10, 26/10, 07/12
French & Cooking Course start dates: 24/02, 23/03, 20/04, 25/05, 06/07, 07/09, 19/10, 30/11.
French & Culture Course start dates: 02/03, 30/03, 27/04, 02/06, 13/07, 14/09, 19/10, 30/11
Bank holidays and holidays (No lessons will take place on these dates and they will not be made up nor refunded): 13/04, 01/05, 08/05, 21/05, 14/07, 11/11 du 18/12/2020 au 04/01/2021
All taxes and enrolment fees includedBook now
|Classes & accommodation with a host family, individual room & breakfast|
|Duration||Standard 15 lessons||Intensive 25 lessons|
|French & Activities (15 lessons) & Homestay|
|Duration||French & Culture||French & Cooking|
|Combo Course & Homestay|
|Duration||15 lessons & 5 one-to-one sessions||15 lessons & 10 one-to-one sessions||25 lessons & 5 one-to-one sessions||25 lessons & 10 one-to-one sessions|
|Half board (per week)||70|
|Weekly extras - short-term stays in residence, no meals included|
|1 week stay||145|
|2 - 5 weeks stay||130|
|6 weeks stay or more||80|
|Transfer from/to Lyon Airport-Accommodation|
|One way transfer||80|
- Your chosen course and accommodation type
- Breakfast, if in Homestay
- Course materials
- Access to all school facilities
- All school taxes and enrolment fees
Prices do not include:
- Travel to Lyon
- Airport or station transfers
- Lunch and dinner for Homestay; all meals for residence accommodation
- Optional extras
- Transportation in and around Lyon
- Residence accommodation deposit on arrival, when applicable (€450 for stays between 3 and 12 weeks, €650 for stays exceeding 12 weeks - to be paid on arrival)
- Visa fees (if any)
- Optional insurances
Arrivals: Sunday afternoon
Departures: Saturday morning
Closest arrival airports and stations:
- Lyon Part-Dieu Railway Station
Airport transfers available on request (fees apply, see the Dates & Prices 2019 tab)
Homestay (pick-up only):
If you have opted for a Homestay and are arriving at Lyon Part-Dieu Railway Station, your host family with come and pick you up on arrival. Please note that no drop-off service is available on departure.
If you are arriving at Lyon-Saint-Exupéry Airport, you can take the RhônExpress tram to Lyon Part-Dieu Railway Station *in the city centre) where your host family will welcome you, or book a taxi transfer (fees apply, see the Dates & Prices 2019 tab) straight to your homestay.
If you have opted for residence accommodation and are arriving at Lyon Part-Dieu Railway Station, you will have to make your own way to your accommodation. If you are arriving at Lyon-Saint-Exupéry Airport, you can take the Rhônexpress tram to Lyon Part-Dieu Railway Station (in the city centre) or book a taxi transfer (fees apply, see the Dates & Prices 2019 tab) straight to your accommodation.
Please note: Do not make travel arrangements until we have confirmed your enrolment in your chosen course.
You might need a visa for this course. For more information please visit our Visa Information page.
Do not hesitate to contact us by phone or email if you require any additional information.