Located in the northeast of France, Normandy has inspired composers, writers and artists throughout the ages - from Saint-Saens to Flaubert to Monet. The magical Mont St-Michel, Le Havre and the Saire Valley's Tatihou and Saint-Vaast-la-Hougue are all UNESCO-listed World Heritage sites.
Normandy's serenely beautiful coastline and rolling green fields belie the region's action-packed, occasionally bloody past - the burning at the stake of Joan of Arc and the D-Day landings being just two examples. In fiction, Emma Bovary is Normandy's greatest heroine.
Rouen, capital of Normandy, is as etched with history as the rest of the region, with meandering medieval streets, the Gros Horloge and famously asymmetrical cathedral. Culture aside, the city is rife with local restaurants and cafes where the star of the show is the area's hearty homegrown cuisine, from raw milk cheeses and Camembert to warming stews. Paris is an hour's train ride away (as are the Paris airports), and Mont St-Michel and the Loire Chateaux can easily be reached by bus.
French in Normandy
Our partner school, French in Normandy, is located in the heart of the Jardin des Plantes area, a 12-minute walk from Saint-Sever shopping centre, 10 minutes from the old town and Rouen cathedral on the left bank of the Seine. With several public transportation options nearby - 2 metro stops and 4 bus stops - the school can easily be reached from all over Rouen.
French in Normandy's teachers are qualified French as a Foreign Language teachers with a real passion for furthering foreign language education and ensuring every student's needs are met.
Accreditations: French in Normandy has been voted Star French School of the Year by Study Travel Magazine every year since 2008. FIN is an IALC and Groupement FLE member.
School facilities include:
- 12 classrooms
- IT suite with 30 PCs and free Internet access
- Multimedia library
French in Normandy has disabled access.
Activities and events during your stay
You will enjoy a varied calendar of social and leisure activities every week, in the afternoon or during the evening. Attendance is optional. Many of these activities are free of charge, however, some may charge a fee. All activities are subject to change without notice and may be offered seasonally.
Some of the many activities available include:
- Drama and film club
- Jewellery making workshop
- Excursions to Mont St-Michel, the Bayeux tapestry, Normandy D-Day beaches, house of Monet, Giverny gardens, Versailles, Camembert making
French language courses: the basics
- Lesson length: 60 minutes
- Class size: maximum 10 (peak season)
- Schedule: morning and/or afternoon lessons
- Placement test: first day of lessons
- Certificate of completion at the end of your stay
- Qualified French as a Foreign Language teachers
Courses on offer
Semi-Intensive General French (15 lessons per week + 5 lessons of linguistics club)
FIN trains you in all four communication skills: speaking, listening, reading and writing. Lessons are held in the morning, Monday-Friday: 9:30am-1:00pm, with a 30-minute break. An orientation session will be held on your first Monday afternoon.
Language levels: beginner-advanced
- Intensive General French: 25 lessons per week + 5 lessons of linguistics club
Morning classes will focus on communication in French. Class hours are between 09:30 and 13:00 with a 30 minute pause between 11:00 and 11:30. Afternoon classes will be held between 14:00 and 16:00 and will be focused on the following workshops: vocabulary and reading comprehension, written expression, oral comprehension in discovering the local way of life and the French culture, preparation for DELF & DALF exams.
An orientation visit will be organised on the first monday of classes.
Language levels: beginner - advanced
Combo course: 20 lessons a week, with 15 og those being general French classes and 5 being individual lessons.
Ideal for those wishing to make rapid progress and receive personalised lessons.
Minimum duration: 1 week
DELF/DALF Exam Preparation Courses : please contact us
Single room, shared bathroom and breakfast.
Travel time to school: from 5 minutes' walk to 40 minutes by public transport.
- Half board (breakfast and dinner Mon-Fri, full board during the weekend)
- Bedlinens/towels provided
- Laundry: your host family will do your laundry and ironing
Residence (Ages 18+, minimum 4 weeks)
Travel time to school: about 10 minutes' walk
- Modern studios
- Students travelling together can book the same studio (2 students per studio)
- Private bathroom and kitchen (students are responsible for doing their shopping)
- Breakfast included Monday-Saturday (except bank holidays)
Facilities and services
- Bedlinens/towels provided
- Ethernet cable Internet only, request at reception
- Coin laundry facilities available on-site
- TV included for 1- and 2-week stays. Subject to availability for longer stays
- Parking available (for a fee)
Prices & Dates 2019
Course start dates Most courses start every Monday year-round (exceptions are outlined below.) On Bank Holiday Mondays, lessons start on Tuesdays.
Bank holidays and holidays (No lessons will take place on these dates but they will be made up during the week): 22/04, 01.05
**Christmas & Nex year Holidays*: the school will be closed between 24/12/2019 and 05/01/2020.
- Your chosen course
- Homestay, bed & breakfast
- Single room, shared bathroom
- Course materials
- Limitless WiFi access
- Return transfer from Rouen Station (Rouen, right bank), if homestay
- All taxes and enrolment fees
Prices do not include:
- Transport to and from Rouen
- Airport transfers (for residence accommodation only)
- Optional extras
- Lunch and dinner
- Transportation in and around Rouen
- Exam fees, where applicable (DELF/DALF)
- Visa fees
- Optional insurances
Arrival Airports or Stations
- Paris Charles de Gaulle (CDG), Orly (ORY), Beauvais (BVA) or Deauville (DOL)
Airport transfers available on request (fees apply, see price list 2018)
Please note: Do not make travel arrangements until we have confirmed your enrolment in your chosen course (about 4 days after deposit payment).
You might need a visa for this course. For more information please visit our Visa Information page.
Do not hesitate to contact us by phone or email if you require any additional information.