France is the largest country in Europe and is renowned worldwide for its landscapes diversity and its exceptional culture. Each region has its own charm, gastronomy and cultural asset. From Paris to Lyon and the Alps, Normandy to Brittany, Bordeaux to the Pyrenees, or in the heart of the Massif Central, you will meet people proud of their culture and always eager to share the beauty and particularities of any of those regions.
Placements can be made anywhere in France, generally in middle or small towns where the families have much more time and space to offer to their young foreign hosts.
If you prefer to choose the location of your placement according to a specific region, urban environment, school or particular sport, you can do so in the frame of our Premium Programme.
French educational system
Students start secondary school from 11 years old.
From 11 to 14 years they attend "Collège" (Middle School) from 6th to 3rd class, and then from 15 to 18 years they attend "Lycée" (High School) from 2nd to Terminal class.
Completion of these secondary studies leads to the Baccalaureate exams required for the continuation of graduate studies.
Lessons generally take place Monday to Friday from 08.00 to 17.00 or 18.00. The academic pace is rather steady and consists in an average of 32 hours of lessons per week plus the additional everyday personal homework in most subjects, given and graded by the teachers.
Attendance to all lessons is compulsory.
- In 3rd class (14-15 years) and in 2nd class (15-16 years), the subjects generally taught are: French Literature, Foreigh Languages, History, Geography, Maths, Economy and Sciences.
- In 1st class (16-17 years), students choose one out of these three branches: Sciences (sector S), Economy and Social (sector ES) or Literature (sector L)
Our programmes are open to particularly motivated students aged 14 to 18 years who wish to study for 1 or 2 months, 1 term, 1 semester or the complete academic year in a French Middle or High School ("College" or "Lycée") while sharing the everyday life of their host family.
Host families are volunteers (Classic Programme) or get a slight financial compensation (Premium Programme).
Schools can be state or private. Placement depends on the place of residence of each host family and of the schools attended by the family children.
The school’s director makes the decision regarding grade and class taking into account the school’s organization, the student’s transcripts, his/her proficiency in French and the available spaces at the moment of the placement.
High School Classic Programme
In this programme, placements can be made anywhere in France, generally in middle/small towns or even more rural areas where the families have much more time and space to offer to their young foreign hosts.
Please do not hesitate to give us your preferential requirements if you have any. We shall transmit them to our partner and shall do our best in taking them into account as much as possible but without any formal guarantee.
High School Premium Programme
This Premium programme gives the students the possibility to select one or two choices from the following list, by order of priority (to be confirmed upon application. This first and/or second choice will be guaranteed.
- Placement in a specific region of France
- Placement in an urban area (city or suburbs)
- Placement for students who follow a specific alimentary diet or suffer from allergies
- Placement according to specific activity (sport, music, etc.)
- Placement in a specific school, class, academic section or subject.
Choice of regions
- Occitania: Toulouse, Castres, Montpellier, Nîmes regions
- Aquitaine: Bordeaux, Arcachon bassin, Bayonne, La Rochelle regions
- Brittany, Loire Valley, Normandy : Rennes, Saint Malo, Vannes, Nantes, Rouen, Caen regions
- Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes: Lyon, Valence, Montélimar, Clermont-Ferrand regions
- Paris: Paris and its suburban area
Note: in case of a specific requirement for a precise private school, all extra school fees incurred will be invoiced at extra cost.
French language course option
A 2 to 3 weeks language course in Saint-Malo (in August) or in Paris (in January) is available before the beginning of the programmes. This course is highly recommended to students wishing to improve their level of French before starting their academic programme in order to facilitate their integration.
"Fun trips" option
3 excursion trips are available to foreign students during the academic year. These school trips are escorted and supervised by appointed French group leaders.
October - Paris and Disneyland: 4 days and 3 nights stay, full board residential accommodation. Visit of the main French capital attractions (Eiffel Tower, boat trip on the river Seine, Louvre Museum, Montmartre and the Latin Quarter, Notre-Dame Cathedral, the Arc of Triumph, the Champs-Élysées, shopping in Galeries Lafayette) and visit of Disneyland Resort Paris.
February - Ski in the Alps: 1 week residential full board accommodation stay in Châtel (Haute-Savoie). Skiing equipment supplied at the resort and the students are lead and supervised by sport coaches. This stay is also available to ski beginners. Recreational activities, local gastronomical specialties tasting and snowball fight are also included in the programme!
June - French Riviera Discovery: 1 week "End of academic year" school trip to the "Côte d'Azur". Departure from Paris to Marseilles, Cassis, Nice, Saint-Tropez and Monaco. Transportation, organised activities and half board residential accommodation are included in the programme.
Note : these excursion trips will take place providing a sufficient number of participating students have applied. Prices will be available only on arrival on the place of stay as well as the bookings.
All families, whatever the chosen programme, wish to host young foreign students to share with them their culture and way of life. Each host family takes an active part in the choice of the hosted student after having been recruited on the basis of a home interview and serious confirmed references.
Families are generally located in middle/small towns or even rural areas. But wherever the placement is located, this stay will be a unique opportunity to join in a genuine French experience among a friendly and welcoming family.
Accommodation is in single or shared room, depending on the family's house, as you can share your room with a child of the family or another student of same gender but different nationality and language who will not have more than 2 years of age difference with you.
3 meals per day are included in the full board : during school periods, lunches are taken at the school cafeteria or restaurant.
All throughout your stay in France you will benefit from the help and support of a local coordinator who will prepare your stay, select your host family and register you at the local school.
That person will be contactable at all times to answer your questions and settle all concerns, even minor ones, that could rise. She will also be able to take immediate action in case of problem with the host family, or just to make sure that everything goes smoothly. She will be your privileged interlocutor for the whole duration of your stay.
Dates and prices 2019-2020
Dates 2019 - 2020
The school year starts in September and ends in late June/early July. It is split into 3 terms with 2 weeks holiday between each term. The winter (February/March) and spring (April/May) holidays are split into 3 geographical zones (A, B, C) and vary from one zone to another:
- 1st term: September 02 - December 21 2019 with a 2 weeks holiday from October 19 - November 03 2019
- 2nd term: January 06 - mid April/beginning of May 2020, depending on your school zone, with 2 weeks holiday from February 08 - March 08 2020 (depending on the school zone).
- 3rd term: mid-April/early May - July 04 2020, with a 2 weeks holiday from April 04 - May 03 (depending on the school zone).
- Academic year : late August / early September 2019
- Semester (2 terms) or term : late August / early September 2019 or early january 2020.
Optional French language course:
- Saint Malo : August 2019
- Paris : January 2020
Exact dates to be confirmed at a later stage.
Prices 2019 - 2020
- French test and preliminary interview before enrolment
- All necessary documents and guidelines for enrolment in a French Middle or High School
- Host family selection
- Homestay full board accommodation (lunches taken at the school restaurant or cafeteria Monday to Friday)
- Personal assistance, constant support and advice from our local correspondent and supervisor throughout the stay
- Orientation meeting (beginning of the stay)
- Transfer on arrival (from international airport or railway station to final destination)
- Easy Languages assistance to parents throughout the stay
- School reports at the end of each term and certificate of completion
Prices do not include:
- Round trip flights to and from the final destination in France
- Course materials and textbooks
- Private school fees (for Premium Programme only and in case of specific request from the student)
- Local transport in and around the area during the stay
- Spending money and personal expenses (telephone and Internet, school computer or Pad hire)
- Departure transfer (to international airport or railway station to final destination)
- Visa fees (only for non EU country citizens)
- Travel and medical insurances
- Be between 14-18 years of age before departure
- Demonstrate intermediate French proficiency at least 2 years of French language study
- Have received good school results for the past two years (averaging at least a C, no more than one failed subject per year)
- Be willingly to meet new people and share daily life with a host family
- Demonstrate interest in other cultures and languages, be motivated, mature, adaptable and open-minded
You can apply to this programme up to three months before departure.
Do you meet all of the requirements? Fill out our online booking form.
You will then receive a pre-confirmation and we will invite you to confirm your booking by paying a deposit of €1,500 in order to start processing your enrolment.
We will then invite you to come to our office in Brussels or Paris for a full interview (a Skype interview can also be arranged for students living too far). This costs €90 and must be paid at the latest on the day of the interview if we haven't yet received payment of the deposit. This interview fee is non-refundable but is deductible from the final cost if the enrolment is confirmed.
If the interview is successful, we will send you the relevant documents to be completed. This includes a school file with recommendation letters from your teachers, an introduction letter for your host family (written in French), your medical history and any other information needed for considering thoroughly your enrolment.
A medical/accident/repatriation and liability insurance policy is compulsory for this type of stay. We will ask you to produce an insurance certificate for the constitution of your file.
Easy Languages can provide you with a full insurance coverage perfectly adapted for young students travelling abroad, cf. Insurances and guarantees
EU citizens do not require a visa for this programme. Students from non-EU countries (the USA, Brazil, Japan, Korea, etc) can stay in France for up to 90 days without a visa.
For stays over 90 days (3 months), you will need a long-stay visa to cover the duration of your stay. However, you may have been issued a temporary visa, in which case you will need an extension from your nearest "Prefecture". You should then let your local coordinator know your visa situation on arrival.
If you turn 18 during your stay, you will have to apply for a residence permit at your nearest "Prefecture". You will then be asked to provide several documents, in particular a sworn translation of your birth certificate. If you do not have it with you, ask your parents to sent it to you as soon as possible.
All fees incurred during the visa acquisition process are at student's expenses.