Language programme in Bournemouth
By attending a course in Bournemouth, you will be immersed in the English language and culture, while making the most of the sand, sea and the sun. As a tourist destination with a mild climate, the town also has a large student population. Brimming with students and young professionals, restaurants and bars can be found all over the city. You can even sit outside and enjoy a drink in the late evening sunshine. During the summer months, British tourists and young foreign students come to Bournemouth to learn English, making it a very friendly and international environment.
Described as the 'happiest town in the UK', Bournemouth has the advantage of being a destination that appeals to all: There's no reason it won't be the same for you!
ETC English School
ETC (Educational Training Centre), is a family-run institution founded in 1989 by Mr. David Jones. The school is located in the centre of Bournemouth, near the town’s pedestrian area and the beach, some 500m from "the Square" and right next to the Central Gardens.
School facilities include:
- 44 bright, spacious classrooms in several buildings
- IT room
- Cafeteria (fresh, healthy, cold and hot meals are cooked from 8 am to 3 pm)
Accreditations: British Council and English UK
Activities and events during your stay
The school organises sports and cultural activities during the afternoons and evenings. You are more than welcome to participate in these activities, though they are not mandatory. These activities may be free or may require a fee. The variety and availability of the activities changes depending on the time of year.
Some of the many activities include:
- Guided tour through Bournemouth
- Welcome activity, barbecue, Movie night
- Museum visits
- Going to a restaurant / bar / pubs
- Excursions to London, New Forest, Durdle Door, Corfe Castle, Oxford, Portsmouth, Swanage, Bath, Christchurch, Salisbury and Stonehenge
- Bowling (approx. £7)
- Pool (approx. £8)
- Laser Game (approx. £8)
- Surfing Lesson (approx. £ 15/session)
English language courses: the basics
- Lesson length 45 minutes
- Class size: maximum 14 students
- Schedule: standard English classes are held in the morning from 08:45 to 12:05, and Medical English classes are held between 14:00 - 16:00
- Placement test: first day of classes
- Certificate of participation at the end of your stay
- CELTA-qualified native English teachers
Courses on offer
- Medical English: 20 lessons of general English + 10 lessons of Medical English per week
In the mornings you will develop the four fundamental skills needed to conquer any language: reading, writing, listening and speaking. In the afternoons, you will develop your skills in medical English. You will be tasked with group and individual work, case studies, participating in seminars and theory classes. You will have homework to complete and reports will be carried out to evaluate your progress over the course of the programme.
Language level: Intermediate and above (B1+)
What does the training in Medical English involve?
The aim of this course is to improve the participants' level of English in the areas of biology, medical sciences and nursing, medical & surgical care.
The training will enable you to gain English vocabulary relevant to all stages of medical communication; for example the management of a new case, medical exams, pathology research, diagnostics and medical and surgical treatment.
The focus will be on:
- Vocabulary and the language in the medical domain, as used in medical texts
- The differences between medical English in North America and in the UK.
- The abbreviations used in the jargon of English medicine.
- The workings of the English medical and healthcare systems
- The new techniques and studies in the field of medicine.
- General English
Who can do this course?
The Medical English course is aimed at students aged 18+, university students and medical professionals who have an upper intermediate or higher level of English. If you are not at this level, you can start your session with one or additional weeks of general English to make sure your level is at the standard this course requires.
- Shadow a doctor
If you wish to add a concrete and practical dimension to your training, ETC offer the possibility, as well as your lessons, to follow a doctor in his/her clinic in Bournemouth.
Please contact us to find out the prices for this option.
Single room, shared bathroom, half board during the week, full board at the weekend.
Distance from school: families usually live in a residential area between 20 - 30 minutes away from the school, or close to a direct bus line (maximum 50 minutes).
- Summer programme: the rooms are shared by default with a student of another nationality. Single rooms are uncommon during the summer but can be reserved for a fee and in relation to availability (students must be 18+)
- Bed linen and towels provided
- Laundry facilities available (the family will usually let you use their washing machine once a week).
- Lunch and dinner can be bought at the school cafeteria or at one of the numerous cafes, sandwich shops and restaurants close to the school
ETC Residence: (unavailable during the summer months - September to June - Age 18+)
- Shared room (Double or large triple rooms available on request and vary depending on availability)
- Bathroom and toilet in each room
- Bed, wardrobe, radiator and chest of drawers
- No meals included
- Distance from school: 1 minute (on-site residence)
- Location: 500m from the city centre and minutes away from the beach
- Capacity: 90 students
- Deposit to be paid upon arrival (refundable by the school at the end of your stay if there is no evidence of damage to your room)
Facilities and services available:
- Laundry facilities (for a fee)
- Study rooms with quiet offices
- Bed linen provided (but not bath towels)
- Internet connection via WiFi throughout the residence
- Guarded access
- Reception available 24/7
- The cleaning of the residence and room is made once a week. The rooms are nevertheless inspected daily. The rest of the time, as in any apartment-sharing, cleaning is the responsibility of everyone.
Extras (for a fee):
- Half board (at the school cafeteria)
- Mini fridge to rent, available at reception
- Towels for rent, available at reception
Dorchester House Residence: Summer only (Age 18+)
- Apartments each with 6-8 single rooms, a kitchen and a lounge.
- Room with large bed, desk and leather chair
- Toilet and bathroom in each room
- No meals included
- Travel time to the school: 12 minutes by bike, 15 minutes by bus, 30 minutes on foot
- Location: right next to Bournemouth railway station and a hypermarket
- Deposit to be paid on site (see price table), reimbursed by the school at end of the stay if no evidence of damage has been found
Facilities and services available:
- Shared kitchen, modern and equipped (microwave, cooker and hob, fridge)
- Laundry facilities (for a fee)
- Bed linens and towels provided
- Internet access via Wi-Fi throughout the building
- Bike garage
- The cleaning of the residence and the rooms is done once per week. The rooms are nevertheless inspected daily. The rest of the time, as in any apartment-sharing, cleaning is the responsibility of everyone.
Prices & Dates 2019
Course start dates: Most courses start every Monday year-round (exceptions are outlined below.) On Bank Holiday Mondays, lessons start on Tuesdays.
Bank holidays and holidays: from 01/01 to 04/01 ; 19/04 ; 22/04 ; 06/05 ; 27/05 ; 26/08
- 'Medical English' programme
- Your chosen course and accommodation
- Homestay accommodation in a single room (excluding summer) or shared room in residence
- Homestay: full board at the weekends and half board on class days
- All taxes and enrolment fees
Prices do not include:
- Travel to/from Bournemouth
- Arrival and departure transfers
- With a host family: lunchtime meals (Mon-Fri)
- In a residence: all meals
- Transport in and around Bournemouth
- Course materials for sessions lasting between 1 - 3 weeks. These can be loaned for a very low price.
- Course materials for sessions lasting over 4 weeks. Bring £90 for Medical English course materials
- Deposit, if applicable (to be paid on-site with a credit card)
- Visa fees
- Optional insurances
Arrivals: Sunday (from 16.00 in residence)
Departures: Saturday (before 12.00 in residence)
Arrival airports/railway stations (with approx. travel time to Bournemouth):
Bournemouth International Airport offers daily and weekly flights to and from numerous British and European destinations. Poole also offers daily ferry cruises to and from France.
- Bournemouth Airport-Bournemouth: 15 minutes (taxi)
- Southampton Airport-Bournemouth: 30 minutes (taxi), 38 minutes (train)
- London Heathrow-Bournemouth: 1h30 (taxi), 2h25 (express bus)
- London Gatwick-Bournemouth: 2h (taxi), 3h30 minutes (express bus)
- London Stansted-Bournemouth: 2h30 minutes (taxi), 4h (express bus)
Airport transfers available on request (fees apply, see price list)
Please note: Do not make travel arrangements until we have confirmed your enrolment in your chosen course (about 4 days after deposit payment).
You might need a visa for this course. For more information please visit our Visa Information page.
Do not hesitate to contact us by phone or email if you require any additional information.