What does the training in Medical English involve?
The aims of this course are to improve the participants' level of English in the areas of biology, medical sciences and nursing, medical and surgical care.
The training will enable you to gain English vocabulary relevant to all stages of medical communication, for example the management of a new case, the medical exams, pathology research, diagnostics and medical and surgical treatment.
The focus will be on:
- vocabulary and the elements of language in the medical domain, as used in medical texts
- The differences between medical english in North America and in the UK.
- The abbreviations used in the jargon of English medicine.
- The workings of the English medical and healthcare systems
- The new techniques and studies in the field of medicine.
- General English
What is a week of lessons like?
Lessons take place everyday from monday to friday, mornings and afternoons and follow this format:
- 20 lessons of general English
- 10 lessons of medical English
- projects, case studies, seminars, theory lessons, group work sessions
- homework and reports on the participants' progression.
Who can do this course?
The Medical English course is aimed at students from 18 years, university students and medical professionals who have an intermediate to high level of English. If you are not at this level, you can start your stay with one or more weeks of general english to improve your level.
- Shadow a doctor
If you wish to add a concrete and practical dimension to your training, ETC offer the possibility, as well as your lessons, to follow a docotor in his/her clinic in Bournemouth.
- Visits and excursions
If you wish to make the most of your stay in Bournemouth to see the tourist spots in town or in the periphery, ETC can offer you a programme of activities and/or outings.
contact us to find out the prices for these offers.
Living with a host family is the most effective solution to explore british culture and to speak English with native speakers, which will give you the opportunity to improve your English everyday.
This option includes breakfast and evening meals from monday to friday and all meals at the weekend. For lunch during the week, you will have plenty of choice between the school cafeteria and the small restaurants in town, 5 minutes on foot.
You will have an individual room and share the hosts' bathroom. However, in peak season (Easter and summer holidays), you will be asked for a supplement to be placed in an individual room and your request will be taken into account subject to availablity.
In terms of geographical location, the families are a maximum of 30 minutes by foot to the language school or close to a bus station taking you directly to ETC.
If you wish to rent a hotel room during your time in Bournemouth, we can make the reservation. The prices vary from one establishment to the other according to seasons, please contact us at your earliest convenience so we can find you the best solution.
Perfect for those who like the idea of sharing their everyday routines with other international participants. The ETC residence is less than a minute from the school, a few minutes to the town centre and five minutes on foot to the beach: an ideal location to enjoy everything that the town has to offer.
The residence has double rooms (or triple rooms on request), all rooms have their own bathroom with toilet. The meals are not included but you can choose an additional half-board, which will allow you to have breakfast and evening meals in the school cafeteria (the residence does not have a kitchen). A free Wi-Fi network is also available.
- A deposit of 250€ needs to be paid on your arrival on location. You will be reimbursed at the end of your stay if no damage is found.
- The residence is available all year except July and August.
Dorchester House residence: Summer only, from 07/06 to 24/08
Reserved for students 18 years and up during summer, this residence consists of appartments of six to eight private bedrooms with a double bed and bathroom. Tenants share, in the appartment, a sitting room and fitted kitchen (Meals are not included). Laundry facilities, a bike garage and Wi-Fi are available for all residents.
On choosing this accommodation, you will be 15 minutes by bus from school and next to Bournemouth station.
- A deposit of £20 will need to be paid on your arrival. You will be reimbursed at the end of your stay if no damage is found.
- summer 2013 full
Stay in Bournemouth
Doing your course in Bournemouth, you will be immersed in the English language and culture all while making the most of the sea and the beach. A tourist destination with a mild climate, the town also has a large student population,which is shown through its many bars and nice places to go out for a drink. In summer, the number of british tourists and young foreigners who come to learn English enjoy a very friendly international environment.
Described as the "happiest UK town", Bournemouth has the advantage of being a destination that appeals to all: There's no reason it won't be the same for you!
The English language school ETC
Located five minutes from the town centre by foot, the English language school ETC has many modern buildings in which the different lessons at varying levels take place. The cafeteria and the interior courtyard allow you to take nice breaks and set up comfortably to have lunch, if you do not wish to go into town.
The school also has a library and IT rooms available to all to use: perfect for those who want to do extra work for their lessons or make the most of some free time reading, on the internet etc. Wi-Fi connection is available throughout the school.
Group travel organised by Easy Languages
In July and August, as well as during the Belgian Easter holidays, we organise a weekly journey from Brussels, Mons, Calais and Paris to Bournemouth. More information here.
Individual travel organised by Easy Languages
We can organise your journey by airplane to England outside of the aforementioned periods. The flight can be reserved leaving from Brussels or Paris to Southampton airport.
Journey organised by yourself and transfers
If you would prefer to organise your own journey, you have the option to book our tranfer link from the airports and railway stations in Bournemouth, Southampton and Londres (see prices in the Prices & Dates tab).
Do you need a visa for this course? For more information on this subject, please consult our page Visa information.
Do not hesitate to contact us by email or telephone if you wish to have more information about this.
Prices and Dates
- Lessons start every monday.
- The holidays take place from sunday to saturday, except if you choose to travel by coach organised by Easy Languages in summer or Easter.
- The school is closed on the following dates: 03 & 06/04, 04 & 25/05, 31/018 and during the Christmas holidays, from 19 December to 3 January 2016.
No lessons will be given during these dates and no compensation will be awarded.
- The programme of lessons in Medical English
- The accommodation with host family in an individual room (not during summer) or in residence (shared room)
- Half-board during the week and full-board during the weekend (With host families only)
- School materials and books
- All taxes and inscription fees
Prices do not include:
- The journey to and from Bournemouth
- With host family: Lunchtime meal
- In residence: All meals
- Any possible use of local transport