View low-graphics version

Visa information Australia

Go to: Home

Visas are required to stay in Australia. The type of visa you will need depends on the amount of time you will be spending there and what you will be doing there. All visa request are to be made "on-line"on :

Types of visas

  • eVisitor Visa
    This visa is for people taveling to Australia for a maximum of 3 months in a row up to 12 months (each visit not exceeeding 3 months. It enables you to visit the country for touristical and professional purposes or to take courses for a duration shorter than 3 months. During your stay you are not authorised to work (except volunteering). However, you can leave and return to the country. This visa is obtainable only "on-line"and the person concerned must be physically out of Australia at the moment of that request. The validity of your visa starts when you enter Australian territory. Each request is individual and free of charge. For more information about the eVisitor and for application, please consult the Australian Government website : e-Visitor

  • Student visa
    This visa is relevant for those wishing to take courses for a duration longer than 3 months. You are able to stay in Australia up to 10 months. The validity of your visa starts when you enter Australian territory up to 5 years. The cost of this visa request is 560$AU.

Please note: The visa process for minors (-18) is long and requires additional documents.

«Working Holiday Visa» programme

Since 2004, the working holiday visa has enabled French, Belgian and Canadian citizens to stay in Australia for up to 1 year, renewable one time only, in order to visit the country and work to cover their costs.

Switzerland has not signed this agreement, therefore its citizens cannot receive this visa. See the site for a list of nationalities concerned.

Once on location, you can work for the same employer for a period up to 6 months. You are also able to take courses for 17 weeks during your stay. Following this, you may do an application for another visa, for example the student visa.

NB: This does not work both ways, it is impossible to have one type of visa and then change to the working holiday visa.

Departures take place all year. You may stay up to a maximum of 12 months. It is a multi-entry visa, you are able to leave and enter Australian territory throughout the period of validity.

Please note: There is no visa quota for Australia, which means that around 100,000 young people visit this country every year.

**Working Holiday Visa: eligibility conditions **

  • You must be between 18 and 30 years of age at the time of the application.
  • This application must be done outside of Australian territory.
  • The main reason for visiting must be tourism.
  • You cannot have already been on this programme.
  • You must have sufficient funds (3000€) to support yourself and be able to return to your country of residence.
  • You cannot be married or be responsible for any minors.